Chapter FIFTY-TWO: Liss

The Eternal reached for her. Zan jumped in the way, teeth gnashing at the transparent, wraithlike hand. It dodged away in a streaking blur that shot a lance of agony through Liss' achy skull, stopping near the Fexes to recollect itself.

"This is impossible." A lattice of red striations ringed Edril's irises, now the same stormy shade as his little sister's eyes. He raked quivering hands through his hair. "We are one. I own you."

"You are the rotting flesh, and I am the eternal soul. Why would I need you when a far more valuable vessel has been delivered?"

"My subordinates delivered her, so she's mine. As are you."

Wheezing laughter vibrated the entity's nebulous form. "Did you not grant me autonomy and task me with instructing your so-called 'subordinates' to capture the Darkbane girl so you could consume her mind?"

"Yes, temporary autonomy, because you work for me!" Edril straightened his spine, lowering his voice. "But I changed my mind. I've devised a better plan."

Domira swatted Foswida's hands off her dress, her face flushed and swollen as if her own rage might consume her. "My patience wanes, Ayer'lora. Look what my brother's meddling has done! Unbound souls are a threat to all living beings. Kill him now or suffer the consequences."

Liss knew little about the Triumvirate, but it was rich that Domira would chastise her brother for meddling with the spirit world. There seemed little difference between sacrificing a soul and separating one from its living host. However, she wasn't eager to sit idly by and wait for her mind to be consumed.

The ground swayed under her feet. Bloody patches covered her sleeves, but the skin beneath the rent fabric was already healing. Maybe she wouldn't bleed out, after all.

Noa wanted her to listen, but as far as she was concerned, she'd listened long enough. "Back me up," she quipped over her shoulder, reminding Zan of his promise. He growled—in agreement, she hoped—slinking up alongside her.

There had to be a reason Ayer wasn't attacking Edril, but Liss wasn't about to let the warlock's severed soul make its first move. She called an orb to either hand, swinging them forcefully at the Eternal. But the fiery explosions had no effect. If anything, they added substance to the shadowy visage, disintegrating into flickering embers scattered among the gray smoke.

"You can't win." Reis pointed his spear at her, sneering. The elf looked nimble enough for combat, despite his sickly pallor.

Liss conjured another orb while Zan stalked around her. "In my experience, those who claim to be unbeatable are the scaredest of losing."

She angled her arm at Edril, setting a foot forward to balance her throw. If she couldn't destroy the Eternal with fire, perhaps targeting its creator would work. On this point, she and Domira agreed.

Her arm shook with the finality of what she intended to do, but she was confident she'd hit her mark. Sucking down a deep breath, she pitched forward—and met resistance. Unseen fingers clenched around her forearm, threatening to break bones. The orb wobbled, flickering and dripping embers. Someone cursed and yanked her arm downward, twisting her hand until the deteriorating fireball faced the ground.

"I can't let you do that." It took Liss a moment to recognize Brisa's hoarse voice. The Fex sister must have sneaked up on her while she was distracted.

She grunted, turning her cheek toward the cloaked, invisible elf. "Don't be an idiot. That thing will kill you."

"We have an agreement. A little of our longevity to strengthen the Eternal is a small price to pay for reclaiming our homeland. Once he's properly attuned to his new vessel—"Brisa tugged Liss' hair in emphasis"—it will be easy to convince everyone in the valley to follow him to freedom."