Chapter THIRTY-FIVE: Zan

The Fexes' camp hardly qualified as an encampment. There weren't huts or even proper tents, just a large tarp tied to four trees to stretch a flimsy canopy above their heads. Zan knew the reason for the lack of more permanent structures, though.

"Keep your belongings close. We don't leave evidence behind." Brisa handed him and Liss a thin, rolled blanket each. She pointed out an empty hatch in the ground, just large enough to reach into, then flipped its wooden trapdoor shut and covered it with a thick layer of moss, dragging a heavy log on top. "When we leave, the bedrolls go back into the ground. Same with the firestarters and roasting spit."

Zan's mouth watered at the mention of cooked meat. Apart from the watery bowl of stew in Squallside, it had been weeks since he'd eaten anything other than fruit, nuts, grubs, and the occasional herb salad. Usually, he avoided eating animals. It was disconcerting to consume the flesh of a creature he could become. But Changing into larger forms depleted a considerable amount of energy, as did taking a blast of luniya to the chest, and he hadn't fully recovered from either experience yet.

"Liss, would you like to help me get supper started?" Brisa lifted a rope from the ground. Three snakes hung limply from it at offset intervals, the rope tied around their necks. It reminded Zan of a grisly holiday garland.

Liss' face turned green. "I...umm..."

"Do you eat birds and fish? Snake meat tastes something like both. It's quite good."

Brisa started arranging the campfire materials and roasting spit, focused on her work. Zan suspected she was purposely ignoring Liss' discomfort.

"I'll help." He took up the clutch of dead reptiles and withdrew the knife he kept in his boot. Its blade had seen sharper days, but it would prepare a snake well enough. Perhaps he would season the stubborn bits of skin to make a crispy coating.

Liss loosened and joined him, taking a wide berth around the log he'd spread the snakes on. He hesitated at the grim look on her face. Was she a vegetarian? Doubtful. There had been meat in their stew yesterday.

"Wouldn't you rather help with the fire, or go find something to drink?" He hoped he didn't sound dismissive or condescending. "I'd be happy to teach you to cook. But it would be better for everyone if you kept your stomach, no?"

She closed her eyes, breathing a quiet sigh. "Thank you."

"Don't worry about it. You've done a lot today. More than any of us."

The scrunched look on her face said she disagreed, but she hastened away without argument. He didn't blame her. Skinning snakes wasn't a pleasant business. Didn't smell very good either.

Noa, who had been leaning against a tree and holding a block of wood in one hand, a small carving knife in the other, snickered at their exchange. When Zan glared at him, the lazy elf stopped whittling long enough to return the favor.

"What–? I can't find amusement in the princess needing her little pet to do everything for her?"

Zan stabbed his knife into the log and stood up. "And what are you doing that's so important, making tree ornaments?" He was ready to pound these egomaniac brothers into the ground, but he was pretty sure Liss wouldn't like that. Plus, it would be a shame to get kicked out of camp right before supper. Thimble's bread was hardly enough to tide him over, and roasted snake made for a tasty meal.

"What I'm doing is none of your business." Noa turned back to his creation. It was too soon to tell what he was carving, not that Zan cared what it was. That wasn't the point.

"It became my business when you ditched your post and a brownie snuck into the quarry. The entire village might know that Liss is a Lightkeeper by now."