chapter 10

DISCLAIMER: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling. This fiction is purely for my own enjoyment and yours. No money is being made by me or anyone else from this fiction.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Hermione woke at the gentle shaking of her shoulder. She moaned and blinked her eyes. The smell of old parchment immediately assailed her nostrils. Did I fall asleep in the library again? She picked up her head and realized she had fallen asleep at large wooden table, using the thick book before her as a pillow. "I'm sorry Madame Pince," she mumbled, yawning widely and stretching her arms over her head.

"Mistress Hermione is talking sleep-talk," said a high pitched voice coming from Hermione's side. She stiffened and looked down. A house elf in a little yellow dress looked up at her with concern. Hermione's eyes widened comically and she tore her gaze across the room.

She was in a large, elegant library that was most certainly not the Hogwarts library. She glanced down at the books she had been reading, all of them about potions. Her stomach plummeted. A sudden snort caused her to jump and she whirled about, her wand out and a curse on her lips. What she saw caused her to give a snort of her own and she threw a hand up to cover her giggle. Draco Malfoy was sprawled out rather inelegantly on a black leather couch behind her, his mouth slightly open and a large dark book laying open on his chest. It was one of the most unflattering positions Hermione had ever seen him in, and for a moment she wished Colin Creevy was there with his camera.

"Is Mistress Hermione alright?" asked the little house elf a bit fearfully. Hermione snapped to attention and smiled down at the elf who was now rocking back and forth on her heels.

"Yes Sunny, I'm fine. I just fell asleep in the library, that's all. Are the children alright?" Hermione asked quietly, trying not to wake Malfoy. She had a feeling he wasn't very pleasant in the mornings. Except for yesterday morning, her brain wickedly reminded her. Hermione blushed. Let's not think about that, she scolded herself.

Sunny nodded profusely and fidgeted with her fingers. "Oh yes, Mistress. Madame Rilla is taking care of the girls because Mistress was still sleeping."

Hermione felt a twinge of guilt. "Does she need my help? Is that why you're here?" She frowned, watching Sunny's nervous habits. I'm not mean to the elves, am I? Everything was fine when I was in the kitchen yesterday.

Sunny glanced back at the door. "No Mistress, it isn't that."

Hermione frowned. "When what is it, dear?"

"Master Draco's mother is here, Mistress," Sunny said. "And she is not being very happy."

Hermione's mouth dropped open in shock and alarm. Mrs. Malfoy is here? Quickly she tried to collect herself. "Thank you Sunny. Will you tell Mrs. Malfoy that Mal-Master Draco and I will be down shortly?"

Sunny nodded and disappeared with a crack. As soon as she was gone, Hermione whirled about and shouted, "Draco!"

Malfoy jumped and fell off the couch cursing. "Dammit Granger! What did you do that for?" He blinked against the midmorning sun and tried to throw a menacing glare at Hermione, but it was ruined by his graceless fall from the couch and his hair sticking out wildly in different directions. In normal circumstances, Hermione would have teased him about it, especially his hair, but her nerves were too much at the moment. She ignored Malfoy's irritation and threw him an agitated look.

"Your mother is here!" she hissed and watched his eyebrows lift in surprise. Then he shrugged and stood up.

"We best not keep her waiting then," he said walking towards the door.

"What? Wait!" cried Hermione, reaching out and grabbing Malfoy's arm. He stumbled backwards and fell into her. He automatically put his arms around her to steady them. Hermione's heart skipped a beat before she roughly pushed him away. Calm down, Hermione, deep breaths, she chanted in her head. Malfoy stared at her.