Chapter Twenty-Two

To say that the mood at supper was subdued would be understating the matter. Emilia might even go so far as to call it sullen. Perhaps it was the continued downpour outside that had everyone so dull tonight, but the rain had not marred the merriment last night. She suspected it was the absence of their hostess that was the problem.

Mrs. Baddeley was in bed with a cold and their newest guest — a pleasant young man named Mr. Oliver Browning who was studying medicine — assured everyone that she would be well enough in a day or so. Still, dinner without her chatter and inquiries filling every lull in the conversation, the conversation seemed to be nothing but lulls.

The servants had seated all by rank, the ladies with Sir Anthony and the gentlemen with the empty chair that usually contained Mrs. Baddeley, having no other instructions from the lady herself. It seemed to have displeased more than one person.

As for the ladies, Lady Adele had her customary place on Sir Anthony's right at the head of the table and seemed unperturbed, but Miss Marbury, as the niece of a Duke, was now on his left and seemed very put out about it. Emilia wasn't surprised, considering the way Miss Marbury had so urgently warned her away from being in Sir Anthony's company. What she hadn't said was why.

Obviously, Emilia had no wish to be alone with him anyhow, but that was mostly because she was afraid he would suddenly propose to Prudence Crewe, who she was decidedly not. And though Miss Prudence insisted she put him off, Emilia did not think that should extend to refusing a proposal of marriage in her stead. Still, she had been alone with him before and, though he was a shameless flirt, he didn't seem like enough of a roué that she should fear for her virtue.

Still, Miss Marbury had said nothing of the sort, so perhaps the pair simply disliked each other. While Sir Anthony seemed a jovial host when his aunt was about, without her, he seemed the opposite of jovial. But perhaps he was sulking over the seating arrangements as well. Sir Anthony didn't seem any happier about being near Miss Marbury, tossing her glowering glances between bouts of frowning at his plate and playing with his pile of creamed potatoes.

Emilia was seated next to Lady Adele now, having been knocked down a spot by Miss Marbury. Lady Adele, she'd gathered in her time here, was also very delicate about her food, slowly sipping at her soup spoon and then nibbling at what was on her fork. God, did none of these people know how to eat?

Emilia never let her mood, whatever it might be, sour her appetite. Then again, she hadn't grown up in a world where food was plentiful and there whenever she wanted it. She ate whatever was in front of her while it was hot. Though she did take some pains to slow her fork now, thinking her movements might draw too much attention to her, here at the table where silence was the apparent guest of honor.

Even the chaperons, usually quite chatty with each other and anyone near, seemed unequal to conversation, though they did express some fear that Mrs. Baddeley's cold would overtake the house before, Emilia supposed, they decided to stew silently in their fears.

Emilia glanced at the gentlemen. Lord Swinton and Mr. Browning were both seated on either side of Mrs. Baddely's empty chair, with Mr. Byrne next to the former and Mr. Walford beside the latter. Mr. Walford and Lord Swinton had attempted to converse about their observations of the rain — and it's effects on both stonework and insect life, of course — but with the rest of the table so quiet, they had also become subdued. Mr. Browning, after his reassurances over Mrs. Baddeley's health, had little more to say, though he did seem to look at Mr. Byrne quite a lot. As for Mr. Byrne, he looked at no one, not even her, which she told herself was a relief.

Across from Emilia was Miss Poole, who had politely attempted to engage Mary Hartley in conversation twice, but Mary was more sullen and silent than anyone, actually glaring at her plate and, occasionally, those around her. Emilia tried, and failed, to hold in a smile at the thought that no one was more displeased with the seating arrangements than Mary.