Chapter Two (part 2)

(continued...)

"I shall be the first to succeed with Prudence Crewe where all others have failed because..." Tony grinned and sat across from Byrne, throwing an arm over the back of the sofa. Unfortunately, it was the one holding his drink. "I've gathered intelligence, listened to the sob stories of all the men who she's sent scampering away with a word or even a look, consoling them with drinks when I can afford it."

Byrne nodded, trying not to wince at the idea of the drink tilting and dripping on the very expensive wood trim. He couldn't abide messy things. "Yes. Much better than talking to the girl herself."

"Oh, I'll do enough of that when she's here. But I know enough about her to know that no one has ever tried to win her my way, which is the only one that will work. It seems so obvious to me, but these other fools have missed--"

"What way?" Bryne cut in, frustrated at resisting the urge to place something under Tony's drink when he put it on the table.

"They've tried flattering her looks, which she doesn't go for. They've tried interest in her art, which she doesn't believe. They've tried discussing books, at which she's trounced them handily." He ticked off each item on his fingers. "They've even tried pretending to agree with her ideals about women owning property and suffrage and all that stuff—"

"All that stuff." Byrne rolled his eyes. He didn't consider himself a great advocate, but there was something in him that understood women's complaints, bucking at the idea of being ruled by people who claimed to know better.

"Anyway, none of it works. She is not fooled. And I think that's because she is no fool. So..." Tony threw up his hands. "Why try to fool her?"

"I don't completely follow. If you think she is no fool, then why not agree that she should own property or—"

"Oh, it's not about that. You know me. I've never been political. I'm not one to get outraged at whether women vote or not. They're welcome to it. Tedious business. No, I quite respect her reluctance to suffer false praise and promises. Yes, I might flirt a little. It's only polite, after all. But, apart from that, I shall offer her the truth," he finished triumphantly. "You see now?"

"No," Byrne said, quite honestly. Sometimes Tony tended to communicate as if the other person was somehow privy to the thoughts in his head, which was never so.

"You should. I got the idea from you. You once told me that negotiation was nothing more than showing the other party you could give them what they want, while really getting what you want."

Byrne laughed. "I'd been talking of business, not marriage." He paused. "Though I suppose there are a few similarities, it's not a precise--"

"Both parties enter with certain needs, you said. I need money and she needs freedom. I think we can both be satisfied. She provides a dowry and I provide a marriage where she can do as she wishes... within reason, of course. She can paint and read her novels and have meetings about her high ideals with like-minded village ladies or even the lads at Cambridge. It's not far from here. As for me, I can go on as I have, maybe even get a steward to see to things so I rarely have to bother her."

"And being married and bearing your heirs won't bother her at all?" Byrne had to ask.

"Yes, there is that. But my part in it is very minimal. I'm sure she won't mind my absence after. You see, I've worked it out." Tony tapped at the side of his head. "Prudence Crewe is not some picky miss waiting for the perfect husband. She wants no husband, I'm sure of it. She's done all but beat contenders off with a club. As she is still on the marriage mart, something must be compelling her to stay, but it's not her want of a husband so I have cleverly devised to offer her... Well, I can't offer her no husband at all, but perhaps the least possible amount of husband. There now!" Tony stared at him, as if waiting for something, possibly applause.