Chapter Seven (Part 1)

Emilia was starting to rethink her alliance with this dog. She had now twice been landed on her bottom because of him, first in the dirt and now in the water. 

This had all seemed like such a brilliant idea an hour ago.

Having often romanticized the idea of being a lady of leisure, she thought she would enjoy indulging in an afternoon nap, but she found it very boring. She had only lasted a few minutes, staring at the canopy above her in consternation, before she was satisfied that she had tried her best and naps were certainly not for her.

Besides that, she couldn't stop thinking about that sad little lair in the ruins. That poor little dear. He should have a bed by the fire, not a scratchy blanket over cold stone. He was such a friendly thing and she was certain that he was less likely to be chased off if he was just a little more presentable. Having skillfully groomed young ladies, she thought she was certainly capable of doing a passable job of it with a dog.

She just needed to secure Miss Prudence's help first, which the girl was surprisingly eager to provide. Prudence claimed she was bored out of her wits and running out of ways to pretend to look busy. Rushing about collecting the items – a bucket, soap, a rope, an old horse brush, some scissors, and a ham bone – gave her a much-needed appearance of purpose among the other servants.

"What is all this for? And what on earth are you doing with that?" Prudence asked, gesturing to the mud-colored dress Emilia was stepping into.

"To rescue me from my boredom," Emilia said, pulling it up over her arms. "And I'm wearing it, if you'll do me up."

"But you hate that dress." Prudence narrowed her eyes. "Are you about to destroy it for good? I wouldn't be surprised."

"Nonsense. I'd rather keep it around so you don't destroy all the others. It's only when you wear it in company, I—"

"For the last time, my mother is not company and wearing a gown for supper at home is a waste of time and effort!"

"Oh, do stop arguing and button me up."

"Well... Yes, Ma'am." Prudence curtsied.

Emilia rolled her eyes and turned her back. "I can cure your boredom, too, if you'd listen."

"Are you going to teach me the secret ways of the lady's maid? Is that what all this is for? I should learn. Evie keeps looking to me as some kind of expert and I am running out of ways to put her off. Perhaps if you—"

"What do ye imagine I'd teach you with a rope and a bucket?"

Prudence shrugged. "Perhaps it's like when Ernie runs about with sacks of grain after a night of eating — or drinking — too much?"

"If you must know, it's for the dog. I've found where he lives and I mean to catch him and bathe him."

Prudence laughed. "So you mean to force me to practice on dogs before I work my way up to grooming you?"

"No, I'll do this alone. Two people might scare the poor dear away." And the day she let Miss Prudence do anything to her hair would be the last day she called herself a lady's maid.

Prudence shrugged. "It's just as well. I'm rather more of a cat lover. But what am I to do? Come, you must give me something."

Emilia turned to her, adjusting her collar. "I bid you to go the library and choose several books that might interest me."

Prudence's eyes lit up. "Are you finally taking my recommendations again? I know you found the Greeks a bit dry, but there are much better novels than that rubbish Mama reads, I promise."