perfectly imperfect wedding

"you look like a princess"

The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and all was well in Stars Hollow. Well, almost all was well in Stars Hollow. The happenings inside Miss Patty's dance studio were an absolute and utter disaster. However, that had a certain perfection to it, too. It simply wouldn't be a Stars Hollow wedding without a little bit of chaos. And since Elizabeth Danes did not live in Stars Hollow, and the town wasn't exactly a destination wedding location complete with hotel rooms for the bridal party to get ready in, Miss Patty's dance studio was the next best thing.

A couple of my mom's friends and I were trying to help my mom get ready for her big day, but she was not making it easy on us, especially me. Every two seconds it was something else. Whether she was telling me to sit down and rest or squirming around while I was trying to apply her makeup or talking when I'm trying to put lipstick on her. And on top of my mom driving me absolutely insane, I hadn't even started to get ready yet. 

Since it was only last night that my mom had asked me to be her maid of honour, and I didn't exactly pack for a wedding — or at all for that matter since I came straight from Logan's and as a result, since getting to Stars Hollow, have been raiding the Gilmore women's closets. Anyway, since I did not have a dress to wear, Lorelai offered to make me one.  

How was she going to whip up a bridesmaid dress in one night? I have no clue, the woman is magic.

"Mom, seriously. You are going to get married looking like a clown if you don't stop yapping for thirty seconds," I informed frustratedly as I (again) tried to redo her lipstick.

"Sorry, sweetheart," Mom replied sheepishly before actually shutting her mouth and letting me apply the lipstick. I was almost done when someone opened the door, and my mother, having the attention span of a literal three year old, turned around to see who it was. 

Luke walked in with one hand over his eyes and a ball of fabric in the other. "Uh... Stella, Lorelai told me to drop this off for you," He said awkwardly, waving the balled up fabric around. 

"Luke, you can look, y'know," I laughed as I made my way over to the door to get the dress. 

He reluctantly removed his hand from his eyes. "Sorry, I... Uh, just wanted to be sure in case any of the girls were getting changed or something," He said embarrassedly as I took the dress from his hand. He was almost dressed and ready for the wedding, clad in a dress shirt and pants with a neck tie slung over his shoulder, yet to be tied. He looked to his sister with a tight smile, who was getting her hair fixed by Miss Patty. "You look great, Liz." 

"Thanks, big brother," My mom replied with a heartfelt grin.

"Well, I gotta get back and help TJ get ready. Uh... Good luck?" Luke bid awkwardly before making his way out. 

I shut the door behind him before turning to my mom, Patty and her other bridesmaid. "I'm gonna change really quick. Can I trust you not to stab anyone with a needle or turn anyone into a drag queen while I'm gone?"

"Of course you can, Honey," Miss Patty laughed before immediately dropping the curling iron and luckily not burning anyone on the way down. She answered my question as if it was a joke. It wasn't.

I shook my head in dumbfounded laughter before making my way behind the divider to change into the dress Lorelai made for me. Once I had the dress on and was looking at myself in the mirror, I just felt this wave of emotions wash over me. 

The dress was a light pastel green with a corset-like bodice and puff sleeves. The skirt was a flowy, thin material and stopped half way down my calves. I felt like a princess.