chapter 8

AN: So as a little celebration for the release of the second arc, I am giving you guys two chapters this week! Here! Take it! Enjoy it!

When Kaz had come back near dawn, only to tell Inej of an impossible heist he wanted her to help him pull off with a few select others, Inej was upset to say the least. It was bad enough to have to try and break into the Ice Court, but Inej knew for sure that, as always, Kaz may hold back information and plan further behind their backs.

So now she sat with Jesper, the Dregs sharpshooter, and Wylan, a rookie demolitions expert. Kaz was off somewhere grabbing a heartrender by the name of Nina Zenik.

"This is going to be a pretty dangerous job, don't you think?" Jesper said, fiddling with his precious guns.

"The jobs are always dangerous," Inej pointed out.

Wylan awkwardly looked between them, not knowing what to say. He didn't know them very well and they had made it perfectly clear to him that he was not their first choice. But Kaz had chosen him and that was that.

Inej was more than unhappy with the extra steps of having to break Nina's 'lover', Matthias Helvar out of his prison in Hellshow.

When Kaz did come back that night with news that they would go tomorrow with Nina to break out her little friend, Inej and Jesper definitely had words to say.

"You know, maybe we need a healer. We could always use a good healer," Jesper commented, twirling his gun around his finger.

Kaz rose a brow at him, leaning his weight on his cane, "And would you happen to know a healer we can procure, Jesper? One that isn't indentured already and would take a fortune to buy out?"

"I mean. Yeah. I know one," Jesper froze, "Oh shit. I wasn't supposed to say that. Um, you know what, ignore me. Probably all the liquor going to my brain at my age, you know?"

Inej folded her arms, "You just said we might need one. Now you know one and won't say anything about it. We could've used a healer a long time ago, Jesper."

Jesper let out a whistle, looking everywhere but at his companions. He felt like an idiot for saying something after he promised to absolutely not tell.

Kaz walked forward, his cane striking the floor by Jesper's feet as he towered over the sitting boy, "Out with it, Jesper. Now."

Jesper held his hands up, "Ok! Look, I don't even know her name. All I know is that she's a really nice flower girl that comes around the Barrel every few days to sell."

"Cecilia?" Inej and Wylan questioned in unison.

Kaz's form tensed at the information, "You're sure that Ceci-this flower girl...is a healer?"

Jesper nodded, "Yeah, pretty sure. I had a bruise the size of Ravka on my darling face and she healed it right up in seconds. Her name is Cecilia? That's nice. Suits her."

Kaz's jaw tightened at the mention of her name, "And how do you two know her so well?"

Inej stayed silent, not willing to reveal that she had been secretly meeting up with the girl Kaz was clearly infatuated with for as long as she had known him. She would rather not start that argument right now...or anytime really.

"Ah, she sells really good herbs that I use for demolition materials under the table for a discounted price."

"Healer or not...she will not be joining us," Kaz said with a tone of finality.

Inej pursed her lips and kept quiet. It wasn't often that she went behind Kaz's back like this, but for his sake and for Cecilia's sake, she was going to. Besides, if Cecilia really was a healer, they could use her on their side.