Chapter 23

AN: I am so happy to be back honestly. After all the health issues I've been having, finally being able to write again has seriously brought up my mood. And I'm so happy that you guys stuck with this story even after the few month break it had. You guys are amazing.

~

Cecilia looked down through the dome at the partygoers in the rotunda below. She knew she would recognize the Menagerie as soon as they arrived. She felt a little guilt at having to steal from some of the girls. While Cecilia disliked Tante Heleen, she had a special bond with some of the girls.

She remembered how they would always smile as she passed by with her flower cart. They brought her a lot of customers. Not to mention they always looked out for her when she was just a small child to make sure nothing happened. The Barrel could be a very dangerous place for young girls, and they made sure she would experience none of that.

"You don't have to do this, you know. You don't have to put those silks on again," Nina said to Inej.

Inej glanced at her briefly, "I've done worse."

"I know. You scaled six stories of hell for us."

"That's not what I meant."

Nina sighed, "I know that, too. Is the haul so important to you?"

Cecilia's attention was caught by the slightest change of tone in Nina's voice. One that portrayed guilt. Cecilia had no idea what she would be feeling guilty for, but suddenly, she felt a pang of suspicion in her gut.

'Trust the whisper of your intuition. It often speaks the truth.'

That was something her mother had once told her. Khair had been very insistent that her children always follow their gut. It didn't lie as often as people did. So, no matter how much Cecilia wanted her gut to be wrong, she trusted it. Her eyes were suddenly open to the possibilities of betrayal by the girl next to her.

The Elderclock began to chime nine bells.

"I'm not sure why I began this. But I know why I have to finish. I know why fate brought me here, why it placed me in the path of this prize," Inej spoke vaguely.

Cecilia reached over, grasping Inej's hand in hers. It was the only way she could say she was there for her friend and make her believe it. Words could have an impact, but actions delivered true results.

"They're here," Nina said, nodding down at the dome.

The Menagerie girls entered through the doors in a group. They were dressed in fantastical gowns that glittered beautifully, and capes shadowed their faces. Each hood represented an animal. Zemeni was a fawn, Kaelish was a mare, Shu was a serpent, Ravka was a fox, a leopard for the Southern Colonies, a Suli lynx, etc.

"I don't see her," Nina said, referencing Tante Heleen.

"Just wait. The Peacock will enter last."

Sure enough, Tante Heleen entered. Peacock feathers framed her head and she was dressed in shimmering teal satin.

Nina nearly rolled her eyes, "Subtle."

"Subtle doesn't sell in the Barrel," Inej pointed out.

Inej whistled, signaling the others. Jesper's own whistle sounded in the distance as a response.

It was time for them to make their move. Now or never. Life or death.

"How does she keep from collapsing under the weight of those diamonds?" Nina wondered, "They can't possibly be real.

Inej's voice came out bitter, "Oh, they're real."

The Menagerie was divided into three groups. Cecilia caught sight of the Suli lynx, Shu serpent, and Kaelish mare entering a door on the left with one other girl.

Flower of the North [Kaz Brekker; Six of Crows]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें