01 | blood month

・゜゜・

.・゜゜・

"Blood month! Blood month!" All the men who stood around the wooden stage cheered on Sihtric and Aethelstan who were chanting like animals.

"Why must they always do this." Skadi said to Uhtred as they both walked over to the scene.

Athelstan had a cup of ale in his hand and was clunking in against other peoples cups as most of his ale spilled.

"Its blood month we must celebrate." Finan said in his usual Irish accent.

"Yes but is this really celebrating." Skadi said as she crossed her arms and stared at the men who were still chanting.

She had to grow up surrounded by men and all there stupid celebrations as well as jokes and as much as she loved all of them sometimes it just got to stupid for her to even watch.

"Let them have there time Skadi." Uhtred said as he placed a hand on the girls shoulder.

As Skadi looked up to Aethelstan again she saw that he was now wearing a dears hide with antlers on his head which did make her laugh.

Suddenly Uhtred walked over to him and called his name.

"Why have you left your post?" He asked him.

"It's his and Skadi's first hunt lord." Osferth said as he patted Aethelstan on the back.

At the mention of her name Skadi also walked up to them and stood beside Sihtric listening in.

"It's good luck for blood month Uhtred." Aethelstan said as he lowered his head slightly.

"Are you two ready to slaughter a beast?" Uhtred asked as he glanced between the boy and Skadi.

"You know I am." Aethelstan replied.

"He means you know we are." Skadi corrected him as he shot her a look.

The two of them had always been sort of enemies as they constantly competed on who was best at what  Uhtred would teach them but at the same time they were friends.

That is why today they would go head to head against one another. Everyone else didn't see it as a challenge let alone a competition but the two of them did and were both were set on killing something first.

"They say they are ready. What do you say." Uhtred said as he turned and asked the people who surrounded them.

The people once more cheered.

"For blood month!" Uhtred then shouted making everyone shout as well.

Aethelstan had a wide smile on his face but Skadi just rolled her eyes as the men started to be men again with there stupidity.

But not after long she laughed alongside Sihtric and Finan.

Uhtred then grabbed their shoulders pulling in Aethelstan and Skadi.