03 | calm before the storm

-

-

It was early. Too early. Skadi had a throbbing headache as she got up and the worst part was she already knew she had to get to the look out post. In fact she was probably already late.

"Skadiiii." Aethelstans voice reached her ears as he knocked on her bedroom door.

"What do you want!" She groaned as she turned around and face planted her pillow.

"Your late for your post!" He shouted through the door. "I'm coming in."

"You really need to get up." He said as he saw her still lying in bed.

"You really need to go away." She replied and sat up to face him.

"I'm only trying to help." He replied and raised his hands up in defence.

"Well you can help by leaving me alone for a bit." She said as she got up and started to get ready.

Skadi then walked over to him and started to push him out the door but of course he didn't move.

"How are you so strong." She said again as she pushed against his chest.

"I've always been strong?"

"No you haven't i remember when you were a scrawny little monk boy." Skadi laughed and tried to push him once more. "Please leave for a minute."

"Fine but be quick don't want to be even more late." Athelstan started to leave. "Oh and maybe don't drink so much next time." He said as he winked and left.

"You were the person who told me to!" She shouted back in a huff and then started to get ready.

After about ten minutes Skadi was at her post.

The waters were calm and everything was so peaceful today. It was never normally like this. The sun was perfect and reflected of the sea making it shimmer.

Normally the waves would be crashing against the beach or rocks and she would be surrounded by choas but today was just different.

That was until Aethelstan came up and joined her.

"Why must you always try to annoy me." She said with a smile as he stood beside her.

"What can I say I do try my hardest."

The two of them just stood in silence for a while. It wasn't awkward silence it was just silence.

"The waters calm today." Aethelstan said as he stared at Skadi's side profile.

She just hummed in agreement as her eyes stayed on the water. There was a light breeze in the air making Skadi's hair fly about but it stopped after a warm hand moved her hair aside and tucked it behind her ear lingering for a moment at the side of her neck.

The action made Skadi immediately turn her head to the side and face Aethelstan in slight shock of his actions.

"What are you-" she had started to speak but didn't finish her sentence as her eyes met his and her breath instantly got caught in her throat.

She hadn't realised it before but his chestnut eyes really were rather mesmerising. It felt like staring into a deep forest.

It felt like the two of them had been stood facing one another for years when it was only a few minutes with one of them inching closer every second.

That was until Skadi caught something in the corner of her eye. It was a ship on the water. One of which she did not recognise at all.

So she turned away and broke whatever was happening between then at that moment.

Aethelstan seemed to stay in that position for a while but soon after he turned and faced the water again but the atmosphere had clearly changed.

"There's a ship." Skadi said and they both looked out at it.

"I'll go tell Uhtred." He said coldly as he walked away from her.

Skadi knew she would have to come to so she followed him but neither of them said anything to one another.

As the two of them spotted Uhtred and Finan stood at the docks they quickly ran up to him and stared to talk.

"Uhtred! A ship, it's turned in from the sea, which we can not identify." Aethelstan told him the news.

"Then the soldiers will be ready." Uhtreds replied as he stared at the open water.

"Why would anyone attack before the Lady arrives?" Finan questioned.

As soon the Lady Aethelflead would be arriving here. She was Aethelstans Aunt and the Lady of Mercia but since he was a bastard of the King no one could know that she was his aunt.

"Like the riverbank, prepare." Uhtred told them all as he now turned to face them.

Finan nodded and so did Skadi as she glanced over to Aethelstan who seemed to be rather out of concentration for some reason.