Chapter twenty-two

“I’m gonna go get a shower.” She spoke.

“Need any help?” I joked and chuckled.

“Alex!”

“Yes, ma’am?”

“Shut up” She stood up to leave.

“So… is that a no?”

“Shut up and go do your homework, Alex.” I laughed, and she left. Charlie hasn’t gone home yet, so I had no homework to do.

I sat there listening to music for a while, and then got up and reheated the soup from yesterday. When I heard Athena getting out of the bathroom, I started making her another juice.

“Food is ready” I yelled.

“Coming” She replied, and I laughed.

“Sure, you are.”

“Shut up, Alex.” She said, entering the kitchen.

We sat at the table and ate.

“I’m thinking of going back to school tomorrow.”

“Already? Yesterday you could barely move.”

“Today I feel better, I have more energy.”

“Obviously, you finally got the vitamins you needed and the right meds.”

“Is that why you’ve been forcing me to drink orange juice all day long?”

“Duh” She laughed a little too hard and started coughing. I got up and brought her a glass of water and the meds.

“Shit, I can’t wait for this cough to go away, it gets tiring and painful.”

“It will, just give it some time.” She nodded and took the meds. She went to the living room, and I stayed in the kitchen, I washed the dishes and saw that Charlie sent me the homework, so I started working on it. After an hour and a half, Athena came and sat next to me with her laptop.

“Is it okay if I sit with you? I need to get some work done.”

“Sure”

We sat in silence, each doing our own thing. I was working on my English assignment that the other teacher asked for when I felt her coming closer, I could tell she was looking over my shoulder, but I kept on with my work. It was a hard assignment, and I’m sure Athena was the one who asked him to assign such thing. After a while, she went back to her work. Another hour passed.

The house was starting to get cold since nighttime was approaching, and Athena cleared her throat every once in a while. I got up from my seat and made tea with honey for her and a hot chocolate for me.

“Here”

“Thank you” She took a sip and looked at me “Are you still working on that English assignment?”

“Yes, I am, thank you for making it so hard I can barely understand what I’m supposed to do.”

“It wasn’t me, It was Ms. Davis the bitchy teacher, I’m Athena the pretty girl next door.” She joked and I scrunched my nose.

“Are you always so cringey?”

“Yes” She smiled.

“I figured” I chuckled, and we both went back to our work. After half an hour I was finally done with my homework, but Athena wasn’t, so I sat with her to keep her company.

“So, what are you doing?”

“Catching up with all the work I missed, and planning my classes for the rest of the week.”