Chapter sixty-two

♡Fast forward six years later♡

“Mommy, where’s mama?”

“Mama is at work, honey.”

“But mommy, it’s night.”

“I know, honey, but mama is working late. Now let’s go to bed.”

“No, I want mama.”

“Mama is going to be late, and you have to go to sleep.” I used my stern voice, and Aris hung his head down. “Come on, I’ll tell you a story, and when mama comes, I’ll tell her to come give you a kiss, okay?” I said, kneeling in front of him. He nodded.

I picked him up into a hug and kissed him. I carried him in bed and put him to sleep.

The hospital where Alex is working is understaffed, and she works overtime most days. Tomorrow is Ari’s birthday, and to take a day off, she had to work a double shift.

I put him to bed, and once he was asleep, I went into the living room and waited for Alex.

At around 1, the door opened. She walked into the living room and dropped herself on the couch next to me.

“Baby.” She turned to look at me with a small smile and hugged me.

“I missed you.”

“I missed you too.”

“How is our little boy?”

“He is asleep. He was asking for you.”

“I hate that I can’t be around as much as you. This work is killing me.”

“Perhaps you should consider that private clinic we were talking about.” She nodded.

“I will, I can’t keep up with such a schedule.”

I kissed her, and she kissed me back. She went and kissed Ari and then came into the bedroom.

She laid next to me, and I pulled her into a hug. We fell asleep almost immediately.

The next morning, I woke up, and Alex wasn’t in bed. I got up and went in the kitchen. She was making us breakfast.

“Good morning, babe.”

“Good morning, baby.” I pecked her lips. “You shouldn’t have gotten up so early.”

“I wanted to make us breakfast.” She shrugged, and I smiled. “Plus it’s Ari’s birthday, we have to decorate the house for the party.”

“I love you.” She looked at me as I said that, and her eyes shined.

“I love you too.”

I helped her cook, and once we were done, she went to wake up Ari. She came back with him in her hug.

“Mommy did you make breakfast?” he asked as Alex put him down.

“No, honey, Mama did.” I told him, and he smiled.

“Mama cooks better.” I gasped, and Alex laughed.

“You are going to regret this.” I told him and started tickling him.He ran to Alex.

“Mama, mama, please stop her.” Alex chuckled and pulled him into a hug. I joined them and hugged them too.

“I love our little family.” Alex said, and I nodded in agreement.

We took Ari to Emma and Anna, who offered to babysit him as we got everything ready for the party. If it wasn’t for our friends, everything would have been so much harder.

My mum passed away two years ago, but even when she was alive, I rarely let her see Ari. I couldn’t trust her around him, not even when I was around.

Alex’s parents were doing well. They still kept in touch, but Alex didn’t trust them with our son either.

Once the house was ready, I ordered the food, and soon the doorbell rang.

It was Charlie and Becky with their daughter. Yes, they were married and had a sweet little girl, a year younger than Ari. They named her Hailey.

Once everyone had come, Alex came with Ari, and we surprised him. He was excited.

The party was crazy. A bunch of five and six year olds running around, screaming, crying, and fighting. I was losing my mind, but Alex seemed to handle it very well.

Once the party was over and everyone left, Ari fell asleep immediately, and Alex and I started cleaning up.

“How did you not go crazy tonight?” She smiled at me.

“It was nice seeing him have so much fun. I wish I had that when I was younger.” I hugged her.

Sometimes, I forget that Alex never had a normal childhood. Her parents were absent before they became abusive, and there was only so much her grandparents could do. I, on the other hand, was lucky enough to spend the first ten something years of my life like a normal kid.

“It was nice today. I can’t believe our little boy is six.”

“I can’t believe we are 36 and 33.”

“I’m so close to forty.” I whined, and Alex smiled.

“Milf.”

“Shut up Al.” We chuckled. Me telling her to shut up was our thing.

“It’s true.” I shook my head amused.

Once we were done cleaning, we changed into our pjs and went to bed. She turned to look at me and a smile appeared on her face. She caressed my cheek.

“I can’t believe, I found you.” Her eyes were full of love. I smiled. “Please, never stop smiling.”

“I love you.”

“You are my entire world Athena.”

And just like that, we fell asleep, in each other’s arms.

A/N: A fluffy Chapter to wrap up the story. Everyone who made it this far, I hope you enjoyed it and thank you for your support.