(4) Break Up

Hana refused to acknowledge the blonde boy on their walk around the prison.

Enji, on the other hand, refused to shut his mouth.

He talked about what he did before the borderlands and how he didn't mind the games. That they took "survival of the fittest" to a whole new level.

Hana and Chishiya stole glances at that but the girl quickly looked back ahead of her.

Chishiya managed to move next to Hana as Enji looked out of one of the many windows.

Banda, who had been walking a little behind them, moved in between the two and gently nudged the girl.

"Let's split up. We would like to go to the roof" Banda referred to him and Hana.

We? The girl thought.

"Hm, what a coincidence. I was thinking the same thing"

"I was thinking we go back to the kitchen. I'm getting hungry" Hana interrupts their little staring contest.

"Roof sounds nice" Enji butted in.

"Kitchen it is" Banda smiled.

Hana and Banda began walking back as Enji turned to Chishiya. But the blonde hurried after the two.

♥️

"Wait here" Banda states.

Hana was left alone at the table as Enji went to find snacks and Banda had gone to the restroom.

"Gonna ignore me forever?"

Hana sighs, "that's the plan."

Chishiya chuckles and sits across from her.

"You know, I didn't break up with you because I wanted to"

The words surprised Hana as she thought Chishiya had moved past her already.

But she remained strong nonetheless.

"I don't really care anymore, so you can leave"

"I broke up with you to save you. I had planned to leave the Beach and come back for you once I found an escape. I didn't know the dangers of the borderlands so I left you"

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I love you"

The girl laughed, "you don't know what love is."

"You showed me what love is!"

The boy was desperate to get his point across but the girl, who tried her best to forget him, was too stubborn.

"I don't believe you"

Hurt was written all over the boy's face, "you thought I was just using you? Did I make you feel unloved?"

Hana thought back to their relationship. How Chishiya had never been affectionate with her, how he never showed any emotion, how he put himself before others. She didn't know why she even stayed with him.

But then she remembered how he would caress her head when he thought she was asleep, how he smiled at the ground when he'd see her after a game, how he put everyone around him at risk without care but never her.

She realized then that all this time she had outweighed his good qualities with all his bad ones.

He showed emotions but only when he thought she wouldn't notice.