Chapter 1 - Bad beginning

"Sophia!" Kyla yelled as she ran towards her friend, avoiding some debris falling from the burning houses.

Sophia swiftly looked behind her and said, "Kyla! You're alright!" She stopped running when her eyes landed on the sight of her friend coming toward her.

Kyla quickly hugged her friend. "You're alright," she muttered.

After they pulled away, Sophia's expression immediately hardened, and she abruptly hit Kyla's nape. The girl winced in discomfort and gave her friend a glare.

"Why did you hit me?" Kyla cried while rubbing her nape.

"That was really risky! You could've died!" Sophia scolded, crossing her arms.

Kyla shook her head, "But I didn't die!" she responded while shrugging her shoulders, which her reply received a glare from Sophia; "Seriously?!" her friend yelled in irritation. 

"You two!" 

The two children swiftly looked to the side to find the owner of the voice; they then saw a teacher in her 30s coming toward them. She then stopped in front of the children, who are still looking at her in bewilderment.

"Keep moving! We are still under attack; are you trying to get yourself killed?" the teacher said in frustration as she aggressively walked away and pulled the two children with her.

Sophia and Kyla let the teacher drag them along and gave each other a glance. In a blink of an eye, the three of them suddenly went to the huge gate of their village whereas their fellow students, and a huge crowd of residents are there too.

"Woah," Sophia whispered, "So fast."

"You two stay here with the others, understood?" The teacher let go of their arms and kneeled down to their level.

Kyla nodded her head, while Sophia was just staring at the teacher in amusement. The teacher stood up and disappeared quickly. Leaving them in the middle of the crowd.

"That...was amazing." Sophia's jaw dropped. "What just happened?"

Kyla looked at her side. "She is a lightning-user, Sophia," she informed her.

Sophia blinked and glanced at her side. "R-really?" she asked in surprise, receiving a nod from her friend.

"Sophia!" a woman's voice spoke from afar, waving her hand up in the air.

Sophia looked behind her at the mention of her name, she narrowed her eyes to find the person who was calling her. Seconds later, when her eyes finally landed on a certain woman that made her smile grew bigger, especially when she knew who it was.

"Mom!" she happily said, running towards her mom and leaving Kyla alone in the crowd.

Kyla, on the other side, watched her friend in silence. She is happy and glad that her friend is with her family, something she had lost.

She let out a breath of relief as her eyes wandered through the crowd. There is fear in the eyes of the people; most of them are still frightened. Some of them are sobbing while screaming the names of their missing loved ones.

Kyla saw her classmates hugging their own families, and she couldn't help but feel jealous of them. Oh, how nice to have someone to hug and comfort you when you are in the midst of hard times.

"Mom, Dad," she muttered under her breath. "I miss you two," she whispered as she looked up in the sky.

Her parents died when she was only 7 years old. They were killed by the warriors from the other kingdom. That day is the worst and saddest day in Kyla's life; seeing your parents get killed in front of you in order for you to escape is definitely the most difficult for a child to bear.