|02|: Women/خواتین

The chan chan sound of the bangles echoed in the kitchen as the woman worked quietly. Her hands were busy cutting the vegetables and eyes trained still on the knife to prevent cuts. Her creamy white dupatta sat leisurely on her shoulders as she totally lost herself in the the fine cutting of vegetables.

The faint padding of feet came from the distance as Bua Ji approached the kitchen. Her salt and pepper hair were tied in a low bun and her head was covered with her beige shawl as she had it draped over her body. Her fingers were reciting some Quranic Verses on the tasbeeh. Her old eyes scanned the figure standing in the kitchen. She sighed at the stubborn girl and said

"Beta tum kiun apne ap ko thakati hu."
(Dear why do you tire yourself)

Safa turned to face the elderly woman. A small of a smile take over her lips as she greeted the woman before her.

"I can't get tired of working for you." Bua Ji shook her head at the stubborn girl and muttered

"Bht ziddi hu tum."
(You're so stubborn)

Safa passed a cheeky smile to her Bua Ji and resumed with her work. She placed the tea to brew over the stove and made some omelette. Toasting some breads, she kept everything on the table and opened the window to let the cool breeze come in.

"When will you be back?" Bua Ji asked Safa. She shrugged and replied

"Maybe around two or something. It depends on class schedule."

After cleaning everything, she took her bag and placed all her necessary items. She wore her dupatta over her head and told her Bua Ji

"If Mrs. Rehman ask for her clothes, tell her I'll give it to her in a day." Bua Ji nodded and placed a kiss on the young girl's forehead and blew some verses over head. Safa passed a kind smile to the elderly woman and left the house.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, all her classes were over. University has been going hectic for her. Her semester has started and she got busier more than she already was. But she's not complaining. She can choose this exhaustion over slavery. She shook away the depressing thoughts as she wanted to stay optimistic throughout the day. Gathering her things in her small bag, she exited the classroom. Taking a quick glance at her watch, she knew it would be a lot late till she made home. Wiping the sweat that glided on her forehead, she walked straight and hailed a rickshaw.

Stopping near the market, she hopped off. Paying the rickshaw driver his amount, she walked inside the market. It was packed. Not a single slit to pass air among the crowd of people. She squeezed herself in and walked to buy some laces and buttons and for her sewing.

Safa was never a woman who liked to live off someone else's money. She believes in hard work and independence. No matter how tired it made her, she is happy and satisfied. Her deep hazel eyes wandered to the other shops and there she saw those beautiful bangles.