Prologue

#OLASweetNemesis

Prologue

The princess of Dela Vegas.

That was the title I was usually known for. Being a part of the Dela Vega clan, the most influential family in the business industry in the Philippines, allowed me to attract an unwanted amount of attention across the country and even overseas. Nagkataon pa na nag-iisang babae lamang ako sa henerasyon naming magpipinsan. I was the only girl in the family.

I admit that I was spoiled not just by my parents but also by my titos and titas. My cousins were also suckers for my bidding. Kahit ano ang hilingin ko ay binibigay nila. Kapag may gusto akong mangyari, they would do everything in their power to make it happen.

Despite the long list of pros, there were also cons. Para bang kapalit ng mga bagay na binibigay nila sa akin ay isang napakalaking responsibilidad. May kabayaran ang lahat.

Ever since I was still a little girl, my parents had already trained me to be the heiress of one of DVH's subsidiaries. Our company focused on retail, which was founded by my shopaholic great-grandmother, who wanted to venture in that field.

Noong una, inaamin kong naging interesado ako. Being the heiress of a huge and well-established company was an honor. It was something a teenager could be proud of. It was something to feed my fantasies based on the fiction novels I've read with Presidents and CEOs as male leads. Kaya nga lang, nang unti-unti ko nang makilala ang sarili at malaman ang gustong gawin, I lost interest in managing our business. Instead, I'd taken a liking to culinary and baking.

I wanted to own and manage a restaurant or a café someday. My original, curated recipes would be on the menu at tatangkilin 'yon ng mga tao. Magugustuhan at babalik-balikan.

But that was just a dream to me. Hindi pa pwede. I couldn't turn down the position handed to me as the President of our company. My parents wouldn't let me. My family would be disappointed.

As one of the biggest companies under DVH, it had to be led by someone from our family. Ayaw naming iasa 'yon sa iba gaya ng ibang kompanyang hawak namin.

My cousins both had a lot on their plates, especially Kuya Xaiver na siyang CEO ng mismong DVH, where his father is still the Chairman of the Board. Si Kuya Knoa naman ay abala rin sa kompanyang mina-manage. I was left with no choice but to take the position and put my dream on hold for now.

"It's been three years since you became the President, and I saw all the reports. I heard the board is actually eyeing you to assume the CEO post sooner than expected. I have to say that you're doing a great job," Kuya Xavi praised me when we went for a small celebration at an elite club in Makati.

I grinned at him. "Not as great as you."

"Don't be disheartened, princess. Hindi kasi tao 'yang si Xavi. You're doing really well," sabi ni Kuya Knoa na mukhang naghahanap na naman ng dahilan para mainis si Kuya Xavi.

"Fucker," simpleng komento ni Kuya Xavi sa aming pinsan.

Hihirit sana si Kuya Knoa ngunit tila parang may nakahagip ng kanyang tingin. He smiled wider and raised a brow.

"Well, the real fucker is coming..." he said meaningfully.

"He must have a death wish," sunod na sabi ni Kuya Xavi nang mapansin din ang tinutukoy ni Kuya Knoa.

Napakunot ang noo ko. I followed his line of vision and saw my ex-boyfriend, Jaybee. Agad akong napairap saka iniwas ang tingin.

We just broke up yesterday. I caught him flirting with another girl. I wasn't hurt or anything since what I felt for him was just something shallow. Kaya nga lang, syempre ay alam ko pa rin ang tama sa mali. Kahit na hindi ako nasaktan, it didn't mean I would condone his infidelity. Isa pa, I would look like a sucker for him if I let him have his way, and I wouldn't bow down to anyone.