Chapter 7

#OLASweetNemesis

Chapter 7
Rejected

"He's nice."

Faith raised an eyebrow as a small grin formed on her lips. Amusement was written all over her face. Napasandal pa siya sa swivel chair at saka humalukipkip.

"Nice, huh?," she repeated, mocking me.

I rolled my eyes at her. "What's with that face and your reaction?"

"I just can't believe that you're suddenly all praise for him when you were just cursing him the last time we talked. And to remind you, it has not been a week since we did," she said.

"Hindi ba puwedeng magbago ang tingin ko sa kanya?"

"That's not what I meant, Hari." She chuckled. "Like I said, hindi lang ako makapaniwala. I never thought you would have a change of heart this fast."

"Well, I did. Happy now?"

Mas lalo siyang natawa. "Why are you suddenly being all sulky?"

"I'm not sulky. I just don't like the way you're reacting. It's... it's... I don't know. Whatever." Nagkibit-balikat na lang ako saka uminom ng iced coffee at niyakap ang unan.

That week, Keno was really nice to me. I honestly didn't expect that he would be the one to comfort me and calm my heart. I thought he wouldn't care, but I noticed how much he had changed since that night.

He became really attentive. I mean, he was already like that as my bodyguard, pero may kakaiba sa pagka-attentive niya ngayon. It seemed to me as if he was being very careful around me. Para bang iniiwasan niyang masaktan ako. It was nothing like the suffocating protectiveness that my cousins usually show, though. It was different—something I couldn't fathom—and I liked it. It gave me comfort and security.

"What made you change your mind? May nangyari ba?" kuryosong tanong ni Faith.

"Hmm, yes..." nag-aalangan kong sagot.

Faith's been my best friend since we were kids, but the news about my cousin's failed marriage still shouldn't come from me. Kahit sa kanya ko lang sasabihin, hindi ko magawa. Ni hindi nga nila ni-reveal sa media kaya sa tingin ko ay wala silang balak na isiwalat sa publiko ang nangyaring paghihiwalay. I guess not until Kuya Xavi's ready to face it.

Binibisita ko siya sa DVH araw-araw, pero nakasubsob lang siya sa trabaho. He wasn't paying any attention to his personal life. Ang sabi ni Joseph ay halos abutin na sila ng hating gabi.

Iyon siguro ang pagkakapareho naming magpipinsan. Tuwing may gumagambala sa amin, we would tend to direct our focus and attention to work. Wala kaming pakialam sa ibang bagay. We would rather drown ourselves in meetings and paperwork than get suffocated by the heavy feeling harboring in our chests.

And while I was trying to keep Kuya Xavi in check, Keno was always right behind me. Hindi niya rin hinahayaan na mag-isa ako. It was very reassuring to have him around.

"I wasn't feeling the best the other day... I somehow felt so overwhelmed that it had come to a point na naiyak na lang ako without knowing..." kuwento ko. "Hindi ko lang in-expect siguro, but he was there for me, Faith... I saw that genuine concern in his eyes and felt comfort in his embrace. It was... It was a feeling that I hadn't experienced in ages. It made me appreciate his company rather than be irritated."

Faith smiled as she sighed in relief. "I'm glad that you've finally found someone you can trust," she said. "Hindi na ako mag-aalala sa 'yo lagi."

Sumimangot ako. "But it doesn't mean I don't need you home, Faith. I still want you home at the soonest possible time."