→ chapter 8

VIVIENNE

VIVIENNE

The apartment was silent when she stepped inside, not even an hour after leaving. A part of her had planned to have a bit of a date day just for herself. Maybe find a cozy little spot, set up her phone, and take some pictures to post to social media. Something her friends from England were still badgering her about doing so they could know what she was up to across the pond.

But after what Sebastian just put her through - not at even 12 in the afternoon, mind you - her head was swirling. She hasn't even managed to have breakfast.

"Morning," Finley shuffled slowly into the kitchen in red checkered pajama bottoms, matching fluffy slippers, and a rumpled grey tee shirt. He opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, chugging most of the content quickly before taking in her put-together look.

"Are you going somewhere?" His voice was still scratchy from just waking up, as he walked up to her and pressed a quick kiss to her hairline in greeting.

"I just came back actually," Vivienne replied dryly, not offering more information about her quite interesting morning. He would have an absolute fit, for certain.

"Damn really? What time is it?" His eyes squinted at the red numbered blocks on the oven's display.

"Only 11, don't worry," she assured him. "I was just awake early and went for coffee."

"Where did you go?"

"Starbucks, where else?" she snorted.

Finley bit his lower lip, obviously amused by something as she took a double take. "Why?"

"You know there's a coffee shop in our building, right?"

Her face fell. "What?"

"Yep, independently owned but very popular for the residences here. Much better than the watered-out shit you got there," he nodded to the melting drink in her hand. "They even offer delivery to your door within certain time frames."

"Did I just spend seven bucks for nothing?"

"You're good, sis," Finley laughed at her forlorn expression, knowing how stingy his sister could get about money. "I'll Venmo them back if that makes you feel better."

That sobered her up quickly, frowning in return. "You don't have to do that."

"But I want to."

Vivienne didn't keep it a secret that she was low on money.

Not low enough to feel poor, but definitely not wealthy enough to do whatever she wanted and eat at whatever restaurant crossed her path. Now that she was graduated, she no longer lived on student loans, and with only so much money in her savings account gathered up from the years. She had a small part-time job as a waitress while in London that helped her with the pocket money for spending, but right now she was unemployed and back to receiving a monthly allowance from her parents - or in their words, just a parental support loan. But she knew in her heart they wouldn't ask for that money back even if they were grey-haired with hunched backs.