𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

-𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒-

It's winter break... finally some rest after a frustrating season... 2022 was a year. Hopefully now we started 2023 it's better. I looked outside and the sun was slowly setting. It was a cold January as I pulled on my shoes and thick winter coat. I decided to take a walk around the city. I grabbed my keys and phone and walked out of my apartment. Walking over the boulevard... more strolling. I took in my surroundings. The surroundings I've seen millions of times and knew by heart. It was quiet this evening. Maybe because it's a Monday and most people just came back from work and started eating with their families. I walked further and passed some trees and cars. I noticed a bench... with a girl sitting on it. She stared at the sunset in front of her as the sun went down in the sea with beautiful orange colors. I looked at the side profile of the girl. She was gorgeous. I decided to walk up to her. I stood next to her and she must have seen me from the corner of her eye as she immediately looked up at me. I smiled at her as she softly smiled back at me. She's really beautiful.

"Hi I'm Charles. I uhm I was curious about you. You know it's not everyday that I see there's a beautiful girl staring at the sunset."

She frowned at me like she couldn't understand me. She just looked at me. Maybe I shouldn't talk French to her.

"Sorry... English?"

She still looked confused. She softly tapped on her ear indicating she's deaf. She's deaf. I smiled and sighed as I looked at me feet. I grabbed my phone and started typing as I sat down next to her. Maybe this way I can communicate with her.

I'm Charles. I thought you were really beautiful and was hoping I could shoot my shot with you.

She smiled at me softly as she took my phone from me. And started typing as well.

I'm Lowen. Nice to meet you Charles. I'm really sorry I can't understand you. I'm deaf and reading lips isn't my best talent.

You don't have to be sorry for that. You can't fix that you can't hear right?

I can undergo surgery but it's expensive and I'm still studying so maybe some day.

I'm sure your getting the money together someday. You look capable of it.

She smiled at me as she accepted my phone back so she could type. Instead she opened another app and typed her phone number into it. She called her number so she had it as well. She grabbed her phone and opened the texting app.

Maybe this is better!

It's easier yes.
Does that mean I get a shot?

Maybe...
We'll see how texting goes
It's hard to communicate otherwise

I would learn sign language for you

That's cute
I've to get going :((
I've to work...

That's okay! I'll text you later alright?

Sounds good to me.
It was nice to meet you!

It was nice meeting you too!

She stood up from the bench and waved softly at me as she walked away. I went home as well and opened my laptop. How to learn sign language. I watched YouTube video's the whole evening long because this girl would be so worth it. I just had a feeling about it. The way she was gentle and sweet while she didn't even say a word. Her smile was just... so sweet. I was trying out signing a little bit and tried my best remembering everything. I just learned the simple ones like hello, please, thank you, bye. The further in the evening I got the more I started learning myself to have some tiny conversations. At some point my phone buzzed. I think it was 1AM at that point. I picked it up to see it was Lowen.

Hi :))! I guess you're probably asleep
already but I'm back from work.

Still awake! How was work?

Fine I guess. Boring but good.

What kind of job do you have?

I work as a barista. I make the coffee
and cake and stuff. Don't take orders.

Sounds quite alright.

Meh. It's boring but it pays
alright I guess.
So tell me. Why are you still awake?

I'm actually trying to learn sign language.

Really? That's really sweet!
How's it going?

I think quite well.
Should probably get a teacher
or something. To make it easier.

Probably. I took a teacher and within
A month I was fluent. It really helps.

Any recommendations?

Depends. I did it in online meetings
I don't know if you want that?

That's perfect!

I'll look for her contacts :))

Our chat went quiet and I sighed softly. I was going way ahead of myself. I don't know what has gotten into me but I just... felt the need to learn sign language for her. When she had send the number and send it through I immediately contacted the woman and afterwards went on with texting with Lowen. She was such a sweet and honest girl. She was gentle and I liked that. I got ready for bed and when I was done I texted a little longer with Lowen. Around 2:30AM Lowen texted me that she was going to sleep and I told her good night. I was smiling like an idiot at the screen of my phone as I locked it and sighed softly. I placed my charger in my phone and then turned off the lights. I made myself comfortable in bed as I turned and pulled the duvet over my body. I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

(955 words)