Chapter 6

Ugh, that blaring alarm cutting my beauty sleep when I possibly couldn't hate mornings more. Maa was already up and about for her school. It was five in the morning and there she was in the kitchen cooking breakfast. She usually just makes it for herself. I prefer something on the go and having brunch at my work for the day.

'Maa, why did Arjun say what he said about Papa yesterday?' After that, I waited patiently for her to answer. To desperately resolve the confusion clouding my brain. The question alone that Arjun might have known me before the house party is gnawing at me. She just looks at me and shakes her head. She lets out a little laugh as she goes back to stirring the curry.

'You remember the time you were away for college? Those four years?' To that, I nod. Those years were life-changing. How can I ever forget my college years?

'Arjun was Rajesh's student. He really saw some potential in him and he trained him for a year.' Trained him? As if she could read the question off of my face. She answered me.

'Arjun is an army officer, beta.' Well, that was a lot at six in the morning. He is in the army.

'Like on the war front? Or like Papa?'

'On the war front, Meera' He is in the army. He has lived in the lowest and highest temperatures. I never thought that he would turn out to be an army officer. Papa had always been on the back of the battlefield controlling the other aspect of the war. That is the reason he doesn't call so often.

'But Maa—'

'Ask me everything later. I am getting late for school. Okay?' She says cupping my face as she leaves to get dressed. I get down from the counter and pack her lunch. Half of my mind was blown by this new revelation. My phone beeped with a new notification, google news. He messaged me yesterday but I slept even after he told me to wait for him.

I am sorry. I didn't reply on time. I slept early.

Of course, the reply won't come right away. I keep the phone aside and get ready to eventually start my day. Today is a good day. Even Khushi's wedding is not that far. It is in less than a month and so many events right in line. Well, I need to tell her.

Pick up, Khushi.

'KHUSHI'

'It's seven in the morning. This better be good.'

'You know Arjun is in the army and not just on the controls. He is on the war front.' I wait for her to gasp or do something but she just sighs. She knows everything and she doesn't tell me. why?

'You knew? You knew and you didn't tell me.'

'Well, I didn't know ki tum logon ki baat yahan tak pahunch jaegi. Sorry.'

'Don't say sorry at seven in the morning. It's okay.'

With that, I keep my phone down and lock the house behind me. My phone beeps and it is Arjun. He reverted my text with an equally sweet reply. Although the text simply said that he had figured that out that I had slept. I reply to him with a simple Okay. I am a professor for today and I love every bit of it.

. . .

'And that's how kidneys work.' with that the lecture comes to an end. I walk out of the classroom and all I feel like doing is talking to him. I wanted to have a conversation with him that day but there was never a good time. For once I am looking forward to the wedding functions because he will be there. We have literally planned her wedding over the years and it is finally here. It is incredibly unbelievable. Fighting the urge to text him and tell him to meet me but I don't want to come as desperate. But how am I just supposed to confront him? Do I even have the right to confront him? It's not like we are in a relationship or something like that. I don't have the authority. Bhagwan ji, what am I supposed to do? That's enough I should just text him.

You are in the army. You can't just be in the army and not tell me.

That was impulsive. I should not have texted him that. I pick up my phone again and text him again.

Sorry if it was a little out of the line but the army hasn't always set with me.

Of course, the army didn't sit right with me. I hadn't practically seen my father much in the last twenty-five years. All because of the military. I had no intention of associating with an army person other than him in my entire life. Here I was, pretty sure having something for Arjun Sengupta.

He replies back with a what at first and then he says that he planned on telling me and it was not out of line.

Well, I was going to tell you. Your father recommended and trained me for the examination. I was going to tell you. I didn't think you would have such an aversion to army people.

Well, for that we have to talk for real. This is not talking, it is just texting. We need to talk for real. What does this mean actually?

We could talk for real. We could meet and talk. Do you want to?

I do. I want to know you.

Okay, I just said that, and just like that we are meeting tomorrow evening. Is it a date? Maybe it is. I should ask Khushi what to wear. We are meeting tomorrow. All is going to be good. 

A/N

This chapter might be a little boring bit it has something I really wanted to reveal. And you might think that it is all about Meera right now. But I prefer to keep this story in only one person's point of view. And it will be Arjun and Meera soon.

I hope you are liking it.

Do you like Arjun?