Chapter 9

'So, why did you choose the army? Hamare papa ki wajah se? Or any personal thing?' Meera was still wrapping her head around how somebody would voluntarily join the army, where they are always at risk. Each passing moment of the day they wear their lives on their sleeves.

[Hamare papa ki wajah se — because of my father?]

Why does he always smile at my questions? They are not so weird, I am just intrigued. I attempt a baby face and he gives in.

'Sir did play a major role. I had always wanted to try out for the army but the teachers had always shot me down. Sir saw potential and pushed me beyond my limits and here I am now.' He gave a small smile after finishing. I reached out to entangle my hands in his arm and rested my head on his shoulder. Arjun rested his head over mine, lightly. It's been a month and a half since we both met each other.

'You remember the day we met?' I ask him, in hopes that he will say yes.

'The housewarming party.'

'Haan, it was a beautiful night.'

'It was.'

'You know, I was singing a song that night and you completed it. It was very Bollywood.'

'Was it?'

'It was.'

It seemed so peaceful that I didn't want to get up. I wanted to forget that we have to go somewhere from here. This moment was it. I didn't want anything more than this. But he was going away.

'Are you sure that we should do this?' he asks me with worry on his face. I got where he came from. I had seen Maa spend sleepless nights because of Papa, even when he just looked over the control system. He was worried about the uncertainty that came with him.

'We are taking small steps, right? So, yes I am pretty sure. Aur aap toh hain hi na hamare liye. Hum aapko jaane hi nahi denge.

[ Aur aap toh hain hi na hamare liye. Hum aapko jaane hi nahi denge – And you are here for me, aren't you. I will not let you go.]

Arjun gives a smile and keeps his hand above mine and I go back to my previous position. We were seated on the verandah of my home. Maa was inside with Khushi, so it was not a big deal. It was Khushi's mehendi. Arjun wore a simple white kurta-pajama complimenting my simple green anarkali. But, what was the groom's best friend doing here? He was here because the bride and her best friend asked him to. He wouldn't say no to me now, would he?

'When are you going to come again?' I ask while detaching from him.

'It is a six-month posting. Srinagar.' He says

'Meera, tum bhi mehendi lagwa lo.' Maa comes out and calls out to me. I nod my head in a yes and got off the bench. I look back at him.

'You also come inside.' I hold his hand and walk back inside. Maa was gone by now.

[Tum bhi mehendi lagwa lo – you also get mehendi applied.]

I did like Mehendi. It made me feel beautiful but I stuck with the simplest of the designs. A big circle with little dots on the circumference. I sat in front of Khushi, as the workers applied mehendi on both of her hands.

'Does your mehendi have Siddharth's name?' I say and she looks up at me for the first time in a while.

'Did you get Arjun's?' well, she turned the tables.

'Why would I get his name? it's only been a month.'

'You have come a lot closer this month, haven't you?' I guess, we have. It has been bliss and every time I think of how beautiful it has been I am reminded that he is going to go. He is going to put his life on the line.

'Is it apparent? Does Maa know? If she does, she wouldn't stop.'

'Buddhu' why does everybody keep calling me Buddhu, I am not one.

'They don't yet. But they would soon.'

'I don't think so. He will go the morning after the wedding. There is not much time and everybody is already pampering you and I am like the forgotten child who is getting away with almost anything. Don't worry it's good for me.' She looks at me with her big doe eyes.

'Now let me get a picture of your beautiful face. Siddharth is asking for it.' She gives her beautiful smile.

'Listen, Vaidehi is here. Just look for her and make her comfortable.' — Vaidehi was Siddharth's younger sister. She was utterly fond of Khushi. She is in her third year with commerce if I remember the last conversation correctly. Arjun was already in conversation with her.

'Didi, how are you doing?' I adore her extroverted personality. She gets excited over small things, it is really cute.

'I am good. What about you?' As I completed the sentence, the ladies at the dholkis started, it was time. Maa dragged me to the center of the room. The spotlight was on me and the song came on.

Mehndi Hai Rachnewaali, Haathon Mein Gehri Laali

Kahe Sakhiyaan, Ab Kaliyaan
Haathon Mein Khilnewaali Hain
Tere Mann Ko, Jeevan Ko
Nayi Khushiyaan Milnewaali Hai

We had been waiting for these days since long and it was here. I twirled, as Vaidehi joined me on the stage. Oh, to keep my eyes from watering. The eye contact between her and me conveyed almost everything.

Gaaje, Baaje, Baraati, Ghoda, Gaadi Aur Haathi Ko
Laayenge Saajan Tere Aangan, Hariyaali Banni
Teri Mehndi Woh Dekhenge
To Apna Dil Rakhdenge Woh
Pairon Mein Tere Chupke Se, Hariyaali Banni

Maa too joined us on the floor. It was also like she was sending off her daughter. With the line, I go behind her, hugging her carefully, and pressed a kiss on her forehead. Arjun was at the far corner of the room, his staring barely noticeable. He was on the phone, the first guess would be Siddharth. He wouldn't be able to not see Khushi for that long. They both are buddhus for each other.

He exited the room with a worried expression. Please, don't let it be what I think it is. While everybody is busy with Khushi, I follow him. He had just disconnected.

'Who was it?'

'My mother.' 

A/N

Hope this was upto your expectations. I really enjoyed writing it. It was a roller coaster of emotions. I tried to take it up a level.

Waiting for the comments.

Oh, and Vaidehi is here. How many of you were waiting for her?

Lots of love.