Chapter 16 - football Friday

Vote and comment!

- Zayas pov

Watching the football team throw the ball and run on an especially cold night wasn't on my bucket list. I don't know what possessed me to come here and support Vicente. I'm not feeling very friendly with him lately. I only came here because of Nemina and her crush. Mateo insisted on coming so we all sit together in the stands sharing a fuzzy blanket on this cold night.

It's mid September so I'm not sure why it's so cold. That just means a shitty winter and I'm not excited for that. I want fall, not straight into winter.

We make a touchdown and our whole fan section goes wild. Nemina included. She stayed home from school today so she wouldn't cheer tonight. I watch the cheerleaders start a cheer for the boys and can't help but wish I was down there with Navi. The stress of my senior year would take away from cheer so I smile down at my fellow teammates.

"You okay Zay?" Mateo asks from my left. His warm body helping me.

"Yeah just cold." I lean my head against his shoulder and put my hands between my thighs to stay warm.

"I told you to bring a hoodie Zay." He sighs and leans away. I glare at him. He starts to take his hoodie off.

"Stop I don't need it Mateo. Put it back on right now." I swat his arms and roll my eyes at his concern.

"Shut up and take it." He puts the hoodie in my lap and I smell his cologne and after shave and can't resist putting it on. It's so soft.

I lean back up against him and watch the game. There's voices around us but none of us engage in conversation with each other.

My stomach rumbles and I groan. Mina gives me a weird look and I raise my eyebrows.

"Im hungry want to go get some food? I'll pay." I ask Mina and Mateo. Mina shrugs and Mateo nods at me.

I follow Mateo down the stairs with Mina right behind me. I glance at his broad back and strong shoulders. He works out four times a week at the gym. It's obviously working if I can see his muscles clearly through his black long sleeve compression shirt.

We walk to the concessions and wait in line. The line is super long and the hot chocolate is a big hit at football games.

"What are we getting?" I ask everyone.

"Probably hot chocolate. How much money do you have on you?" He asks me out of the blue.

"Like twenty dollars." I mutter with a raised eyebrow.

"I want hot chocolate too and a hotdog." Mina mutters from beside me.

"I'll pay." Mateo says sternly.

"I already offered Mateo. I'll get the same as you Nemina." I tell him and get my money out ready to pay.

"Doesn't matter." He shrugs at me and grabs my money out my hand and puts it in his wallet.

"Asshole give it back." I make a grab for his wallet but he grabs my wrist gently instead.

"Let me pay Z." He leans down and whispers in my ear.

I stop trying to grab my money and relax. It's his money he's wasting. Whatever I need it for gas anyway. Who am I kidding, he drives me everywhere.

"Okay." I say and take my hand back. I look at Mina and notice her watching Vicente run with the ball. She's wearing his number on her face with paint.

Vicente makes a touchdown and she shouts with the rest of the crowd. I think they're dating but it doesn't seem that way when he brushed her off earlier before his game.