1.

It was our last shot at getting funding for the mission to space to research ways to eradicate various diseases. NASA had us shut down and so did other corporations. Reed's confidence was almost running out. And, Ben's patience was near low fuel. But, I wasn't allowing them to give up!

Having an appointment to see Victor Von Doom was not ideal for me. Though the sociopathic billionaire was our one-way ticket to let us access advanced technology in store. The Von Doom building, or as my best friends and I call it, the Dungeon for it made any like-minded person feel confined and uneasy like some corporate places with a lack of character. And Von Doom himself was exactly that!

An enormous statue of the narcissist stood in front of the building. Von Doom was full of himself for sure! I was ready to walk away but prevented myself from doing so. I wasn't ditching my big bro and nerdy family friend!

"Typical of Victor Von Doom to build a 30-foot statue of himself," Ben remarked sounding irritated at the fact we were going to be in the same room as the bastard himself.

"Well, it's obviously aimed at first-time visitors to create feelings of smallness, and inadequacy," Reed deciphered the meaning behind the statue as his low self-esteem started to reveal itself.

"Good thing it ain't workin'. Reed, what are we doing here? This guy's fast-food, strip-mall science," my brother did his best to help our friend boost his confidence as we headed for the main entrance.

"This wasn't our first stop, in case you forgot. Besides, Victor's not that bad. He's just a little... larger than life."

"Larger than life, my butt," I muttered as I crossed my arms. 

Ben gave me an uplifting smile. He and I shared the same trait of disliking self-absorbed people. 

My brother and I stood off to the side as Reed gave his presentation. I still kept my arms folded as being in Von Doom's gargantuan office made me feel like turning to the exit.

"My research suggests that exposure to a high-energy cosmic storm borne on solar winds might have triggered the evolution of early planetary life," Reed continued his speech as a holographic simulation of Earth was hit by a red cloud, "In six weeks, another cloud with the same elemental profile will pass Earth's orbit." A similar red cloud flew across the holographic planet.

Reed pressed another button and the image switched to a DNA simulation, "A study conducted in space could fundamentally advance our knowledge about the human genome, cure countless diseases, extend human life, give kids a chance to live longer, stronger, healthier--."

"Turn it off. Please," Victor interrupted from behind his desk, enshrouded in the shadows.

Aw, come on! I thought when he completely cut off Reed's part about helping sick children.

"I don't think I've explained my proposal fully," Reed stated.

"No, I think you have. Same old Reed-- always stretching, reaching for the stars with the weight of the world on his back. But dreams don't pay the bills, do they?" Victor threw a magazine in front of Reed. 

I knew it was about Reed's bankruptcy. Though it was to cause his self-esteem to sink like the Titanic, Reed was determined to finish his explanation.

"You remember when we were in school, we talked about working together. Well, that's what I was about to explain," Reed explained further, not allowing himself to get cut off and pressed a button and the holographic switched to the design of Victor's space station, "The storm is deadly, but the shields on your station's control room are designed to protect any occupants inside."