20.

We were brought to the U.S. Embassy right after the events at the Eye. I could tell Hager was extremely pissed off at our group even though my quick thinking of invoking the vines after Johnny accidentally switched powers with Reed, prevented anyone else from getting hurt.

"What the hell was that?" Hager yelled at us.

"We'll make adjustments," Reed expressed calmly, "Next time, we'll be ready."

"Next time-- there's no next time. You can't handle this alone. That's why I'm bringing in some help."

I didn't like where this whole thing was going. 

"General, you bring in more soldiers and weaponry, you're gonna put innocent people in danger," Reed pointed out.

"No more than you already have," a familiar chilling voice spoke up.

My mouth dropped open at the sight of Victor Von Doom himself in the flesh, without his metal mask.

How? I thought in shock. The last time all of us confronted the sociopath, we had encased him in metal.

"Victor," Reed gaped.

"What's the matter?" Victor laughed, "Afraid of ghosts?"

Ben charged at him angrily grabbing him by the throat and slammed into the wall, "Since you're a ghost, you won't mind if I break your little neck?" My brother snarled at the megalomanic. Ben never forgot how he saw me paralyzed after being shot twice by Victor's electric beams and went all major protective big brother mode.

"Let him go," Hager ordered.

"Don't you know who that is?" Johnny remarked.

"He's Victor Von Doom. He's here under my orders."

Hager must've been out of his mind to call in Victor. Though there wasn't anything we could do about it. Something told me it had something to do with the silver surfer. Whatever Victor had up his sleeve, it wasn't any good. But if he had something useful, there was no other option. But knowing the sociopath, his true colors would be revealed in no time.

"Ben, let him go," Reed sighed.

My big bro complied and released Victor from his grip. Johnny inched closer to me.

"How is this possible?" Reed questioned Victor who coughed recovering from nearly being strangled by Ben, "How are you still alive?"

"No thanks to you five, that's for certain," Victor replied standing up and brushing himself.

"Von Doom's made contact with the alien," Hager turned to us, "He's got valuable information."

So he communicated with the surfer? I wondered in thought.

"Information that might just help save the planet," Victor approached Reed, "Now, let's be clear about this, shall we? I hate you." The megalomanic glanced over at the rest of us, "All of you."

Feeling's mutual. I thought about he almost killed a lot of people, including my best friends.

"But the world's at stake, and... we need to work together to survive," Victor added.

That would mean having to be in the same room as him again. I mentally shook my head.

"General, we know firsthand-- you trust Victor, and you're gonna regret it," Reed warned.

"So far the only one I've regretted trusting here is you, Richards," Hager told him.

Hurtful. I thought.

"Reed, don't agree to this," Ben demanded knowing full well what would happen later on.

Reed once again saw that there was no other option, "Let's see what he's got."