18 | Chapter

"Is this... is this what you meant that day? Back in the pack house, medical ward? About... wanting to die? Because of the abuse?" Tobias said nothing, his very silence confirming those allegations.

Felix opened his mouth, to no doubt make a further attempt at persuading him to reconsider letting him help, when he suddenly paused in that position, lips parted wide open. His eyes glazed over and unfocused. Tobias ignored that oddity and simply waited for the werewolf to say what he had intended to say. An action that was heavily delayed.

He must be either speaking to his wolf or someone contacted him through the pack link, Chase deduced swiftly. Most likely the latter. Tobias hummed in acknowledgement, bracing his entire weight on his hands behind him and leaning backwards. He let a stray ray of sunlight warm his face, its gentle caress succeeding in smoothing out his frazzled nerves.

A curse rudely drew Tobias away from his momentary peace, eyes falling open to see Felix scrambling up to his feet in a hurry. In the same rushed manner, he removed the strands of grass and dirt from his clothes with a harsh brush from his hand. Tobias watched the scene unfold before him, feeling both mildly confused and relieved. Confused because he was clueless to what triggered the sudden frenzy, and relieved because whatever was making Felix react peculiarly, had also successfully caused him to drop their previous topic.

"My friends are on their way here, right now," was what he said when Felix finally decided to fill him in. That single sentence was enough for Tobias' muscles to instantaneously contract with immense tension. 

"Why?" Tobias asked, a smidgen of suspicion sneaking into his voice which was otherwise emotionless.

"They want to meet the person who I turned into a werewolf. I'm the first of our age to turn someone, and I'm pretty sure they're all curious about you," Felix rattled off, eyes staring elsewhere as he combed his fingers through his hair. After he deemed himself decent for his friends' upcoming arrival, he then extended a hand towards Tobias on the ground still. For a second, he contemplated whether to accept the offering or not. A flip of his coin cured his indecision, he grasped the hand and allowed himself to be pulled to his feet. Unlike Felix, he calmly dusted his clothing to rid himself of the light layer of dirt and grime that had settled on the back of his shorts.

"When are th-" he was cut off quite abruptly.

"FELIX! THERE YOU ARE!" Out of the corner of his eye, Tobias could see the werewolf in question facepalm himself so hard that it resulted in a loud smack resounding in the quiet forest. The exasperated reaction at the arrival of his friends had him smiling lightly.

At about twenty feet away, they spotted their newest arrivals, flawlessly weaving through the dense trees. Tobias counted four individuals, an equal distribution of gender between them. Two huge towering males, one taller than average female and the other a girl of average height and rather delicate frame. He scrutinized all four in the near distance, wary about what their presence there meant for him.

Front and center, was a blonde male, visibly boisterous from how he yelled loud enough for the entire forest to hear him and closed the distance in an alarming pace. Tobias could just about make out the brown in his eyes, face adorned with a smile wide enough to rival Felix's. He looked as if he had dressed haphazardly before coming, or ran recklessly through the woods. Perhaps both, if he happened to have shifted to a wolf on the way over.

Next was the tall girl, decked out in black. Black hair, black t-shirt and black converse. The only colors she had on her were the dark blue high-waisted denim shorts she wore and the brown of her eyes. Hair tied in a loose braid and draped over a shoulder. She walked with a confident swagger that most girls were envious of.