CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4 - HIS WIFE

You were first promised to me, Theo was only the second choice.

I was... speechless. I wasn't sure how I would react to this.

To be honest, I don't know how to take this kind of information. My mind raced with a thousand thoughts, but none fit the situation. I felt overwhelmed and confused.

On top of that, I wasn't so sure what Lukas expected me to do, or even say. What could be his motive? His reason? Will this make any difference now that I have married Theo instead of him?

Besides, it's not like we could just undo things, right? But then, I wonder, why was I so invested in this information? What if he just said it for the sake of saying it? Nothing more, nothing less.

I was curious why he declined though. If there's an option of declining, why didn't Theo do it? He sure has a reasonable excuse to refuse, unlike Lukas. Well, I didn't actually know Lukas enough to judge what could be happening at that time. Besides, I didn't feel any flattery from this. I felt more like a reserve or something.

The arranged marriage was bad enough, but passing me to another made it worse—to someone who already has someone in their heart.

Did Lukas want me to feel like trash or something?

Why was I so invested in this information anyway? What gives? What would I gain? It's not like this will change anything. Well, it just made me think less of myself.

But I just don't get the idea behind it. Why would he say this? Why now? He wouldn't just blurt this kind of information without reasons.

Okay, now I found myself obsessing about this. I don't know how to stop! Selena was blabbering about something, and I felt bad for not listening to her. I was spacing out, and still alone with my thoughts.

Selena.

I was so glad she pulled me away at the right time. She always knows the perfect timing when it comes to saving me from a stressful and awkward situations. She was like my guardian angel in human form.

"Hey!" Selena snapped at me, finally noticing me spacing out and not listening to her. "Did you even pay attention to what I said?"

"I'm sorry, no." I answered truthfully.

She rolled her eyes at my reply, but continued with her interogations. "What did Lukas say to you? You paled and looked like you were about to faint. If I didn't pull you away, you would have passed out!" She pointed out.

I didn't want to lie to my best friend, especially after all she had done for me. But, I was wary of what she would do with this kind of information. She was very persistent and conniving—not a pleasant combo.

"Nothing. He just gave me my purse and I felt stupid for forgetting about it."

Selena didn't look like she was convinced of my answer, but she just let it go and didn't press on about it. She knew that whatever this was, she would know anyway. And she's not wrong. I would tell her eventually, but not now.

"Anyway, I can't believe that the Don is hiding that piece of human being—Lukas, you know. Salvatores have good genes, there's no doubt about that. Who would have thought that they come from the bloodline of the mafia, they're good looking enough to be actors!"

Selena gushed endlessly about them. I on the other hand didn't care about it. What's the use of having gorgeous looks if you're a womanizer anyway?

"You know what? I think the Don should have set you up with Lukas instead of Theo! He drooled over you at the bar. And did I mention that he was the one eyeing you non-stop?"