CHAPTER 13

CHAPTER 13 - WHAT DID I DO THIS TIME?

"Lukas."

I said, then I suddenly realized that I was still on top of him, his hands still wrapped around my waist and shoulders.

I felt my face flush and my heart racing.

"I..." I started, while I pushed my way up, freeing myself from him. He released me, and I quickly scrambled to get off of him, awkward and embarrassed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable." He said while my heart was still pounding and my cheeks burning.

"I'm sorry and thank you," I finally said.

As I attempted to stand up, a sharp pain sparked in my left ankle, causing me to lose my balance.

I was immediately caught in Lukas' arms again, preventing me from falling. He held me tightly, steadying me so I could regain my footing and remain upright. I looked up at him, feeling my heart race. His gaze was intense, and I could feel his breath on my face.

I could feel the strength of his arms around me, and I felt strangely comforted by his hold.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his voice gentle and caring.

I nodded. "Thanks. Again." I managed a small smile, thankful for his kind concern.

"It's alright," he said reassuringly. "Don't worry, I won't let you fall for me." He joked and finished with a wink.

"Seriously?" I raised my brow, not sure if he was flirting with me or not.

I couldn't tell, but his playful demeanor made me feel both anxious and curious at the same time.

When I first met him, there's no denying that it wasn't a pleasant start. His persistence was annoying, and he was open to his intention of flirting with me. But when he learned that I was his cousin's wife, he changed his attitude and apologized for his behavior.

He even tried to ease the tension that was building up in the air between Theo and I. He threw in some jokes and spited Penelope on my behalf. His easy-going nature made me instantly warm up to him. I was so thankful that he had stepped in and saved me from a potentially awkward situation.

Lukas was such a breath of fresh air. So far, I can see him as playful, witty, and never taking himself too seriously. While my husband was the opposite. Theo was always serious, rarely smiled, and always seemed to be in a bad mood.

Theo and Lukas were like yin and yang - one light and one dark.

Lukas let out a hearty laugh and said, "All I can say is, I'm here to help, not to hurt you."

"Well, that part has been proven already. You've helped me out so much, I don't know how I could ever repay you," I said with a laugh. Felling relieved that he was just being playful and not flirty.

He shook his head. "I mean it, Lia. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask." His tone got serious as he looked at me intently.

I was taken aback by his sincerity. I had expected a more casual response, but Lukas' seriousness and intensity surprised me.

All I could do was thank him for being so genuinely willing to help me with whatever it was I needed.

But remembering the situation I was in now, I had no idea how he might be able to help me. Especially when Lukas revealed that secret to me, and after overhearing the conversation between Theo and the Don.

It made me wonder, what was his real reason for coming back here?

Did the Don ask him to return?

For what?