CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10 - IS HE DEVELOPING FEELINGS FOR ME?

We finished our meal in silence. Although the food was delicious, I didn't have the chance to savour every bite as Theo watched me like a hawk, making sure I ate everything on my plate. I felt uncomfortable under his gaze, and the silence only made it worse.

He was such a prick!

There was a part of me that wanted to sneer at him and ask him what his problems were. But, I was not in the mood for another sarcastic exchange at this moment.

Plus, I was the one who requested the no talking and I wanted to take the opportunity to enjoy the silence that I had requested.

So with that, I left the table without saying a word.

After breakfast, I took a bath and walked to the backyard to read. But instead of reading, I ended up staring into space, my thoughts consumed by the sparring that Theo did with the guards this morning.

Does he really need to be that violent?

I felt guilty for what had happened to them. I wish I had done something to help. It was my fault anyway. But what should I do?

Lukas made it clear that it's not good to intervene.

It's their way of doing things.

"You're married to one, now you know."

Lukas' words echoed in my head. It was like a punch in the gut.

It's true that Theo hasn't taught me anything about their business. He hasn't shown me their full-blown side yet. In short, he doesn't include me that much.

It could be because he thought I was too soft for these kinds of things?

I wouldn't lie, it was all true. I still haven't adjusted to the mafia world despite being married to the next mafia boss for over a year now. I couldn't even stand watching his brutal sparring, let alone be involved in it.

Maybe I wasn't really fit to be a mafia wife.

My physical, emotional, and moral limitations only further highlighted the fact that I lacked the toughness to be part of his world. I realized that I lacked the strength and strong-mindedness necessary to be a supportive partner - essential traits for a mafia relationship.

This made me think of Penelope.

Maybe she has what I lack, which was important to Theo. He needed a woman who would stand by his side in a tough, intimidating environment and would be a steadfast pillar of support.

Not a softie moralist like me.

I'm still determined to learn about his world though. I want to understand the Salvatore family, since I'm part of it now. I'm sure I can handle it once I get used to it.

Can I?

Well, for all I know, I could be a rebel from time to time.

Take last night for example.

Theo looked surprised when he saw me. He surely didn't expect that I would be out in the middle of the night without telling him or having guards with me. Clearly he assumed and was complacent that his Lady of the House wouldn't dare break the rules. He had obviously become too comfortable with me staying within the boundaries he had set.

He didn't know I was brave enough to go against his expectations and stand up for myself.

Actually, Selena made me go out. If it wasn't for her persistent persuasion, I wouldn't have left at all. But still, I was proud of myself for taking this step.