43 | macarons; a spiral of madness

Staring at the pile of ingredients that had been measured by Noah, because the dragon didn't trust Kaden to weigh them out himself, Kaden debated how he'd ruin the food.

He was still thinking about it when Noah looped the black apron around his back, pulling it taut against the curve of his waist. He raised his arm when Noah moved to roll up his sleeves, careful not to skim against his skin and cause any adverse reactions.

When Kaden looked up, he realized that several pairs of eyes had turned to watch them. He frowned, tilting his head. "What is it?" He asked to the nearest classmate.

They flushed and turned away, washing the soap off their hands. "Nothing! Nothing, sorry, I didn't mean to stare."

"Is it really nothing?"

"Yes!"

"You're awfully jumpy, aren't you? A telling sign of somebody with something to hide, flustered because—"

"Kaden." called Noah, directing him away from bullying the poor classmate, and back to the counter of ingredients. "Pay attention."

Kaden nodded obediently, glancing over the spread again. Macarons, he'd heard before among the whisper of chattering in the hallways, were a popular and fancy sweet that was also difficult to make.

Fragile and pesky things that refused to shape themselves unless treated with absolute delicacy. And Kaden, evidently, did not have a feathered touch or careful hands.

"I think I should just watch you. You demonstrate it today, and I'll make it for you another day. What do you say?" After all, he was much more interested in tasting the sweets than the process of it.

Well, it wasn't a lie that he wanted to learn how to bake and cook, seeing as he hadn't the opportunity in his past life. But watching Noah bake or cook proved equally amusing and insightful, so he didn't mind that either.

Unfortunately, the dragon wouldn't let him off easy.

"I'll instruct you. And you'll follow my instructions."

Kaden hummed. "I don't think that's a good idea, really, my dear Bellamy. There's no teamwork in that, we should be working side by side, don't you think?"

The dragon stared at him coldly. "Then should I hold your hands and guide you to each step?"

"Oh, I understand your ploy now."

"And that is?"

"You're seeking reasons to hold my hand. Bellamy, you need only ask and I'll spread my fingers and interlock them with yours, as you wish."

Leave it to Kaden to make something such as holding hands sound odd and obscene. Noah shook his head dismissively, debating whether to strangle the amused character in front of him, or to educate him.

Instead, he tugged the bowl of chopped dark chocolate for the ganache filling, and raised up a piece to Kaden's endlessly talking mouth.

Kaden blinked at the offering. "Is this the chocolate that's sweet as I?"

"Sweeter." answered Noah flatly.

Satisfied, Kaden took a bite of the rich, 90% cocoa dark chocolate and scrunched up his nose at once, frozen in an expression of bitterness. Noah had never felt more satisfied in his life.

Despite his reaction, Kaden slowly chewed the chocolate as it coated his tongue, letting the sinking and rich bitterness fill his mouth, and swallowed reluctantly.

"Your verdict?" said Noah knowingly, moving to grab the egg whites and a whisk.

Kaden paused, walking to the side to sip on some milk. He walked back and smiled. "I understand. You don't think of me as sweet, but rather sophisticated and elegant, with a deceiving appearance that hides bitterness."