113 | reversal; five fates

The first to react was the least expected.

It was a well-known fact that Reed Chauvet felt little affection for the stray dog he leashed, ordering the sinner to bloody his hands in the most devious ways.

After Reed's crimes were released and he was temporarily removed from the throne, that fact was only made more evident.

The heartless crown prince, a killer of his blood, with interest in nothing but himself. He and Nicola Akasha painted the perfect illustration of an adoring couple, and it was her influence that he benefited from.

However, many speculated that Reed only remained with the noble woman for her influence, and for the sake of reclaiming his power and position.

But Kaden Chauvet, all knew, was nothing more than a pathetic mutt to be discarded. Had Noah Bellamy not exiled that sinner, it was likely that he would've been executed or sacrificed.

But Reed's hand loosened over Nicola's shoulders, and fear rushed in his trembling gaze. His entire gait crumbled, misery contorting his expression.

Nicola had never seen her lover, almost husband, in such a state.

He spoke in a strained voice, a forced calm. "You're lying."

The blue-eyed man shook his head, shrugging his hands into his pocket. From behind him, another man with a gloomy disposition and jewel-coloured eyes emerged.

Noah stared blankly and any viciousness bled away from his gaze.

"It's been confirmed. I can't give you their identity, but the source was not lying." The blue-eyed man sighed, shoulders slumped in defeat. "He will die, and there is nothing anybody can do to prevent that fate."

"What from?" The dragon spoke suddenly, his tone measured and cold.

"Didn't you exile him for all these years because you hoped for his demise, Noah Bellamy?"

"....." The dragon closed his eyes, deep concentration furrowing his eyebrows. He revealed little expression or thought, quietly stating, "That was never my intention."

Reed swung around, all his nobility and arrogance draining onto the rubbles of the broken cell. "Nonsense. What else did you exile him for, instead of killing me?"

"I have no obligation to answer you."

"Kaden is going to die because of your vague actions."

Confusion flickered over Nicola, her hands sweaty and the warm touch of her lover's hold lingering around her shoulders. She saw the streaks of red on his clothes from protecting her.

Her eyes squeezed close in a faint tremble, and she lifted her chin with steady determination.

"Reed," she said softly to this man that she'd loved and trusted for years, even when society had gone against them. "How many lies have you told me, all these years?"

The surprise and guilt woven into those loving eyes, a chilling blue that Nicola had found warmth in. The slight twist of his thin lips, the hesitation that stiffened his body. She recognized it, knowing him all too well.

For years, she worked alongside him during her time in the Academy. It was almost delusional to believe in; a man who didn't discriminate for her background and highlighted her intellectual ability without diminishing her ideals.

He praised her for her achievements and listened to her quiet complaints, eternally devoted, forever gentle and kind.

There was no other person she could've loved.