83 | society; the you unaware

Skye and Kaden sat side by side in the cafeteria in silence.

Sometimes, although most were aware of the estranged relationship between the two siblings, it was a known fact that Kaden was a dog to the Royal Family; their loyal and crazed mutt.

However, watching the nervous, blonde-haired younger and the indifferent green-eyed elder, it was difficult to understand their relationship. Kaden adapted to pretending nothing existed in his surroundings, devoting all senses to the food.

He was keenly aware of the whispers around him and the fidgeting man seated beside, but he had no mind to do anything.

Noah and Niklas had something to attend to, so Kaden had intended to eat his meal alone. Arlo, too, was disappearing at random. Kaden had inquired, but the boy said he was learning new skills from a teacher, insistent on keeping their identity a secret.

A lonely lunch was something Kaden was no longer used to.

But at the same time, the body adapted to old familiarity, and he settled into the passing sounds of laughter, submerged in a quiet buzzing.

Kaden finished his small lunch; the taste of the food seemed to have leeched off his tongue, and he had no appetite. There were dark shadows under his eyes, making his entire being more gloomy.

Skye hesitated, chewing on a piece of bread.

This was the Kaden who he remembered during all these years, the Kaden in his dreams that met a tragic end.

But for a second, for the past year, he recognized glimpses of that Kaden who he'd met, before their identities had driven a rift in their relationship. The one that was awkward but kind, grumpy and full of complaints. 

And yet, protected Skye's body like it were a beloved treasure.

"Kaden... do you want some more?" offered the younger man tentatively. "You can have some of my food."

A cold gaze swept sideways and Skye swallowed.

There was something brewing in Kaden's green stare, a madness of the past that had long been soothed. The crazy Kaden was one who couldn't abandon Skye—but why did he feel as if he were making an irreversible mistake?

But selfishly, Skye didn't want to understand. The truth that Kaden Chauvet would be happier free from his side.

"I'm not hungry."

"Just a little? You haven't eaten much—"

"I'm. Not. Hungry." His chair screeched loudly, scraping against the ground, causing a few gazes to look over. Their conflict was nothing more than entertainment to the onlookers. "Run along, Skye. I'm afraid I don't have time for you today."

Skye wilted in his seat, and the whispers grew more intense.

Kaden heard them—

"How cruel he is to the youngest prince... indeed, the rumours may not be false. "

"He's awful, look how sad Skye looks. I feel sorry for him."

"As expected, ha. Scum will always remain scum."

His fingers curled around his tray, digging into his flesh to leave red indents. Since when had he been so weak, reacting to these silly words? Since when did they matter, when he'd long divided himself and all others?

Kaden felt like he were sinking, every step dropping into a deeper darkness that crowded his throat, ears, nose; he couldn't breathe.

If he closed his eyes and collapsed, would they finally pity him?