54 | dearest; to bones and ashes

Attics, one could argue, was the sole destination for horror stories and murders. Kaden, versed in the topic of murders, would agree.

A dark and gloomy space that people didn't frequent often, and wouldn't notice the corpse until the body started to rot The wooden floors emitted the scent of flesh, and the buzz of flies started to crowd together.

As for horror stories, he hadn't read enough of them.

He should find a time to read some... he was never too interested in books before, spending time forcing himself to read late into the night until his eyes strained, and his nose bled.

All to study for the hope of respect he was never given.

Tap, tap.

Noah's fingers tapped the side of the wall, an echo in Kaden's ears as he turned, pulled away from his depressing thoughts.

The dragon murmured in Kaden's ear, standing close with the crowd of them who had wandered into the room. He was always the first to notice the glaze over Kaden's eyes, the distant, gloomy shades the green took.

"What're you thinking?"

Kaden pursed his lips and answered a half-truth. "That I should read more."

"Genre?"

"Horror? Or at least, I'd like to try a few, maybe."

The dragon hummed, a low sound from the back of his throat, as if debating all the options in his mind. "There's a library in town." He said, and then added nothing more as he waited.

Kaden took the hint, and the corners of his lips tugged. "Are you wanting me to ask you on a little library date, darling dragon?"

"I was thinking of inviting you to the library, yes." nodded the dragon without a flicker of expression. "Aren't you the one who assumed it was a date?"

"What—"

"Do you want to go on a date with me, Chauvet?"

Kaden opened his mouth and closed it again. He suddenly registered their proximity, and that the other three had long crawled up the attic, leaving only the two of them.

He was a little frustrated. Who taught the dragon to talk back? Noah used to just glare at him with immense irritation or disgust, in silence, might he add.

As if sensing Kaden's mood, amusement creased the corners of Noah's gaze. It was a subtle change, a light flicker, but Kaden saw it and grew more annoyed.

"What terrible person is teaching you their wrong, unsightly ways, Bellamy?"

Noah raised an eyebrow, simply stating a single word. "You."

"What? I wouldn't speak in such a frivolous manner."

Then, as Kaden was protesting, a head poked out of the attic ceiling, a pair or eyes that were annoying and cheerful. Slowly, Niklas swept his fingers over a piece of plain stone—or what appeared to be a regular rock.

Kaden heard his voice ring out. It was a compilation of his 'darling dragon,' and 'dearest Bellamy,' and more, 'dears,' 'Bellamys,' and 'darlings,' that all sounded coquettish and flirtatious when condensed together.

'My dearest Bellamy— Bellamy— Bellamy—' Kaden's own voice echoed, and he felt red hot shame flare at the tips of his ears, and the back of his neck.

"....." Noah tilted his head at Kaden.

"Heh." Niklas curved his eyes.

"....." Kaden turned away to stare at the skies outside.