Chapter 4 - 1st Kei's Point of View

Scope: Year 1 Volume 1 until Volume 7.5

-

On the very first day of classes for my first year in high school, I rode a bus going to Tokyo Metropolitan Advance Nurturing High School. Inside the bus, I saw a guy with greenish blonde hair giving his sit to a girl who's standing.

"Please take a sit." He told to the girl.

The girl showed him a grateful smile and thanked him as she takes the seat previously occupied by the guy.

'He seems like a nice guy and he's wearing the same uniform as me. I wonder if we would become classmates.'

It turns out we were really classmates in Class D. As soon as I entered the class, I can already tell that the class I am in is full of losers like myself. I immediately realized that if this school also accepted exceptional students, then those exceptional students may have been placed in other classes, which means, the classes in this school has ranks and I am in the lowest ranked class.

The guy I saw in the bus instantly became the leader of the class. His name is Hirata Yousuke. He immediately got along with almost everyone in the class and he also became a school heartthrob in the blink of an eye. Not only is he charismatic, I could also feel that he's a kind person.

I saw the opportunity to restart my life with his help. I could use him to protect myself.

I approached him and told him about my dark past even though it was very painful for me talk about it. I also added some acting into it and exaggerated the story. But that was to compensate for something I did not want to reveal---it's the disgusting scar on my abdomen. It turns out that Hirata has a dark past too.

My judgment was right. Among the boys in this class, Hirata is the best. 

We started pretending to be in a relationship and I assumed the position of the leader of the girls in the class. I started copying the behavior of the popular girls in middle school---bitchy, self-centered, shopaholic, money extortionist, fashionable, and other typical behaviors of a popular girl. I did not care if other people would hate me, as long as they won't harm me.

I observed my classmates. I befriended girls whom I think could be potential bullies. I did not want to get on their bad side. I also took them under my control for added layer of protection.

Everything was going well. I was finally experiencing a peaceful life.

Then something happened that I did not know would disrupt the peace that I was finally obtaining in this school. It seemed so insignificant but this little event spiraled into something dramatic. It led me to find out something huge about a guy in my class.

It was in the school cafe and I was using my popular girl persona. I went and cut in line slightly pushing out a timid and quiet girl.

"Move."

It was a very small event that I quickly forgot about it. But it turns out that it was a very big deal to the timid and quiet girl. As someone who became robotic in 3 years of continuous severe bullying, I certainly could not understand her.

We had the island special test where something happened that reminded me of the past. My underwear was stolen. It reminded me of the time when they hid my underwear and uniform during swimming class in junior high school. That day, I went home wearing my P.E. uniform with no underwear inside. I felt violated and incredibly humiliated.

Before I knew it, I was already crying and my classmates were comforting me. It was the first time again that a classmate cared about me. However, instead of being happy about it, I was worried that I was showing weakness. This could lower my position. I had to regain my image as soon as possible.