Chapter 10

—————————————————————————

Aurelia couldn't fall asleep throughout the whole night. She stormed away from Rebekah around 11pm and Aurelia just tossed and turned around in her bed and it was now 1am. So she decided to get up and go out into the living room, just to see a very familiar face sitting in front of the fireplace.

"Why are you still up?" Damon asked, taking a sip of his bourbon. "Couldn't sleep.." Aurelia says as she sits next to Damon, wrapped up in her blanket. "Something happen?" Damon asked shortly and Aurelia just groans as she takes Damon's bourbon from his hands and takes a sip.

"It's complicated" Aurelia says as Damon looks over at her but she doesn't meet his eyes, still just looking at the fireplace. He then looks back to the fireplace and they sit in a comfortable silence for a moment.

"Damon.. you're my best friend, and I was upset tonight. And I drank a lot, thinking I wouldn't get drunk because I'm a vampire now but I still got a little tipsy and then saw you and Rebekah flirting so I went over to Elena, figuring that you would've saw us. So I flirted with her and I regret it, because I basically led her on but I wasn't thinking. I don't love her or anything or have feelings for her, but I figured you should know. I'm sorry, it wasn't right"

Damon just looks at his best friend and a smile forms on his face when Aurelia finally meets his eyes, he lets out a small chuckle before he wraps his arm around her shoulder, pulling her closer while stealing his bourbon back. "I'm going to accept your apology because I know how hard it must've been for you to apologize, clearly you're still tipsy" Damon says and Aurelia just laughs as she lets him pull her closer, resting against him.

"Were you jealous?" Damon asks, he already knew that she was but if he asked he knew she would probably tell him the truth. "I guess I was... I hated that you were talking and flirting with Rebekah" Aurelia says, letting out a sigh. "Why's that?" Damon asks, knowing the answer again.

"To be honest, I don't know. And I hate it because I don't mean anything to her, but this entire time I was hoping that I meant a sliver of something, anything. But she's only here to protect me because Klaus wants me alive and she has nobody else, Stefan doesn't love her anymore, and Klaus left her here. She has nobody so she came to me as a last option, it hurts but I don't know what else I expected. That's the problem with being involved with an original vampire, I guess I was just expecting and hoping for something more than what was possible... And I hate that I care about it so much, I don't want to but it's all I've been thinking about today, and I want to get it off my mind and get her off my mind. I need to not care about her as well. I hate her. I did hate her, then I cared about her a little, but she proved me wrong so I will always hate her."

Damon just hummed at her, he put down his bourbon and stroked her hair lightly and then rubbed his hand up and down Aurelia's arm that was already resting on her shoulder. He gave her a kiss on the top of her head, trying to comfort her in any way.

"I think she cares about you more than she lets on, even though she lets it on pretty easily. You just don't see it because you hate her, but she noticed you and Elena before I did, and I'm very sure she was going to rip out Elena's throat for even being within 20 feet of you. But she is an original after all, so you should probably stay away from her, but you don't listen to anyone but yourself. So then do what your gut tells you" Damon says, looking down at her and Aurelia just looks up with a small but grateful smile.

"Thanks Damon, I'll take your advice, just this once only because it actually sounds good" Aurelia says and Damon just laughs sarcastically before resting his chin on her head. "Elena would be lucky to have you. She feels something for you, you know? She does. What happened with her tonight?" Aurelia questioned.