Chapter 2

Harlyn

June 4th

3:45 PM BST

Me:
[SENT ATTACHMENT]

3:46 PM BST

Finley:
Ok. I believe this is the first time I'm seeing you without a shirt on.

Finley:
I don't know what to think about that.

Finley:
What a text to wake up to.

Finley:
Is that Brighton Beach?

4:01 PM BST

Me:
Yes, it is. I did just sort of spring that on you, didn't I?

4:02 PM BST
Finley:
No.
Finley:
I mean, yes you did. But it's fine.
Finley:
Just...flustered me, that's all.

4:17 PM BST

Me:
Oh? I fluster you? ;)

4:18 PM BST
Finley:
Stop. You know you do.

"So pretty much everything is planned. The invitations are finally out. Finally. It's little stuff now."

Mel, my soon-to-be sister-in-law, rolls over on her towel and looks over her sunglasses at Mum, who's lounging in her beach chair. Mum has a book open on her lap, but she and Mel have been talking about the wedding since we got to the beach an hour ago. I don't think she's read a word. Dad, Elly's dad, and Elly's brother, Thomas, are in their beach chairs on Mum's left, and as far as I can tell, they're talking football. My brother Marley, laying on a towel on the other side of Mel, chimed in a few times, but I think he fell asleep. My best friend Elly is definitely asleep on her towel next to me.

This is the first time all of us have been in Brighton in over six years. We used to come here a couple times every summer. But after Elly's mum died and Marley went off to Uni, our trips stopped. I finally talked Mum into getting this trip together. It was time to initiate Mel into the family. And it's been so nice. We've been blessed with warm weather and clear skies and more laughter than I've had in weeks.

I lay my head on my crossed arms and let the sounds of the crowded beach wash over me. The yelling kids. The chattering people. The crunch of pebbles under running feet. It's heaven. I can't help but think of the last time I was on this beach, chasing after Max as he dashed toward the water. Elly and Max had a water fight. Finley laughed the hardest I've ever seen him laugh. I hadn't put it together at that point, that I liked Finley. I didn't even know I was bisexual. A lot has happened since then.

When there's a lull in Mum and Mel's conversation, I prop myself up on my elbows. "Hey, Mum?"

"Yes, darling?"

"Do you think we'd have time to go to the Pavilion while we're here?"

Elly snorts. Apparently, she's not asleep. "Harley, babes, we went there four months ago. What could have possibly changed?"

"I meant Mum and me," I correct. "You don't have to come."

Mum gives me a small smile. "I'm sure we could make time. I haven't been there in ages. You took Finley and Max there when you brought them to Brighton, right?"

"Yeah. Finley loved it."

There's a pang in my chest, as there has been every time Finley comes up in conversation. It's been a month, and it doesn't get any easier, being so far away.