Chapter 7

Finley

July 26th

10:30 AM CDT
Harlyn:
I'm officially an employee of the Highton House Foundation.

10:33 AM CDT

Me:
Ooh. Look at you.

10:40 AM CDT
Harlyn:
I'm going to get a badge, Finley. A badge.

10:43 AM CDT

Me:
Don't you have a badge at McDonald's?

10:47 AM CDT
Harlyn:
That's different. This is a badge. Like a photo id badge with a lanyard and a clip to go on lapel or something.
Harlyn:
And it won't be covered in grease all the time.

10:51 AM CDT

Me:
I'm so happy for you.

When I get home from work, Mom and Dad are sitting, as usual, on the loveseat in the living room, watching whatever show they're making their way through. Mom pauses it and smiles at me as I take my shoes off.

"You're home early," she says.

"I didn't have to close tonight," I say. "Katie wants Layla to get used to closing with someone else so it's easier when I leave."

Dad's face twitches a little, but he doesn't say anything. They haven't said anything about it since I got the email. Am I mad about it? No. Am I confused and waiting for the other shoe to drop? Yes.

"Speaking of," Mom says, glancing at Dad. "We actually wanted to talk to you and Bridget for a second. If you're ok with that. Will you see if Bridget has a moment?"

I narrow my eyes at her but nod. I must still look suspicious when I lean in through Bridget's open bedroom door, because she squints back at me from her bed.

"What?"

"Mom and Dad, uh, want to talk to us."

She raises an eyebrow. "Do they? Did they demand it?"

"Uh, no." I clear my throat. "Mom said they want to talk to us if that's ok. And asked me to see if you have a moment."

She stares at me like I'm speaking French. I'm not sure what happened to prompt Mom to use phrases like "if that's ok" and "if you have a moment." Things like family meetings and needing to talk to us are on her time, not ours - a demand, not a request.

"Well, I'm intrigued," Bridget says, tapping a few keys on the laptop sitting next to her. "Let's see what's so important."

Mom pauses the show when we get back into the living room. Bridget flops onto the other couch, and I stay in the doorway with an apple I grabbed on my way through the kitchen.

"What's up?" I ask.

Mom glances at Dad again before starting. "Your Dad and I have been talking. And... we know both of you have...expressed concern about our parenting recently." Dad smothers a scoff, and Mom lays her hand on his forearm. "We wanted to let you know that we're going to try to be better at treating you two as adults." She turns to Dad.

"It won't be easy," Dad says carefully, not quite meeting us in the eye. "But we do understand that you have your own plans and lives. We just..." He softens slightly, just enough to make me really pay attention. "We just want what's best for you."

Isn't that a line. Of course they want what's best for us. They want what they think is best for us.

"Well, thank you," I say, attempting a smile. Bridget, who looks just as dumbfounded as I feel, nods, too.