Chapter 10

Harlyn

There's a pit in my stomach that's been there all day. And it grows as more reactions come in. It's just a few at first - a like or a heart here and there. My stomach rolls with every one. Finley, God bless him, keeps talking about anything he can think of. Max asked out a girl he likes at work. Bridget is panicking about figuring out what to take to Uni with her. Someone dropped a bucket of ranch cups all over the floor on Saturday in the middle of dinner rush.

"Thankfully, they didn't all come open, but it was the wrong time to get everyone even more stressed." He runs his hand through his hair, and it distracts me enough that I stop reading through the comments people have left. "We got it cleaned up, at the expense of the sanity of our dishwasher. I let him go home earlier than I would've and stayed a little longer instead."

"That was nice of you," I say. "I don't think any manager I've ever had has been that nice."

"Yes, well, I'm a benevolent ruler."

I sputter out a laugh and let my phone drop to my bed so I can scrub my face. "You're a dork."

Finley's voice is slightly muffled by the duvet. "Yes, I am. And it made you laugh. So, mission accomplished."

"Mmhm." I pick my phone up again just as someone knocks on the door.

"Harlyn?"

"Yeah Mum?"

She cracks the door and smiles at me softly. "I saw your post. How are you?"

"I'm good," I say, trying to cover the fact that I'm still very terrified and probably will be for a few months. Maybe longer? I flip my phone to show her Finley as a distraction. "Finley's here."

"Hi," Finley calls.

Mum's face lights up. "Hello, Finley, dear."

They chatter for a minute, and it gives me the excuse to not look at my phone. I stare at my ceiling instead, taking a deep breath.

"Well, Harlyn, darling, Dad went to bed, but he said to tell you he's proud of you. And he loves you."

I pull my phone back to my face and smile at Mum. "Thanks."

"I'm proud of you, too. And I'm going to be up for a bit, so if you need anything let me know, yeah?"

"I will."

She pulls my door closed, and I stare at it for too long.

"Sweetheart?"

I look back at Finley's smiling face. "Hm?"

"You ok?"

"Yeah." I click back into Insta, refreshing the comments. "Fine."

"Harlyn." I raise my eyebrows but don't say anything, fixated on a few new comments that came in. "Harlyn Evans. Look at me."

I flick my eyes up to him. "Sorry. I'm sorry. I'm obsessing, aren't I?"

"Yes, you are," he laughs. "What are you focused on?"

"Um, some comments on Insta."

There's a beat of silence, and I read the comments again.

@kalebdeanssssss:
Can't believe I didn't know this.

@jazzyyyyy:
I don't see it.

@imnotjames:
You? Really?

@threalpeter:
Nah, mate.

@trinarenee:
Yeah right.

"Delete them," Finley says.

"What?"