Chapter 3

Finley

June 14th

1:03 AM CDT
Harlyn:
Happy birthday, love. I cannot believe it's only been 5 months with you in my life. It feels like so much longer. It feels like I've known you my whole life. And still, that wouldn't be enough. Isn't enough. I hope you have a fantastic day. Call me when you get up so I can see you open your package.

1:10 AM CDT

Me:
Thank you so much sweetheart. I can't believe I get to have you in my life.

1:12 AM CDT
Harlyn:
Why on earth are you awake at this hour??

1:15 AM CDT

Me:
You underestimate my night owl tendencies.

Me:
I should be asking why you're up at 7 am.

1:25 AM CDT
Harlyn:
Wanted to be the first to wish you a happy birthday.

1:27 AM CDT

Me:
What a sap.

"You can go, Layla," I say. "I'll finish up the last of the closing checklist."

Layla stands up straight and blows her bangs out of her eyes. "Fin, it's your birthday. I'm not leaving you to finish my job." She bends back down to reach the broom farther under the table next to her. "Besides, I need the hours."

"If you're sure," I say. "I'm going to count out the drawer in the office. I just mopped the kitchen. So be careful not to slip."

She runs the broom under the base of the table and pulls a full, greasy napkin out. We exchange a grimace, and I head back to the office. I'm just entering everything in the computer when Layla comes back, too, and starts gathering her purse and keys.

"You outta here?" I ask.

"Yep. You sure you're good being here alone?"

"You ask me that every time we close together," I say.

She smiles. "And I mean it every time. This place is creepy when it's dark and empty. But I especially mean it today. It's your birthday. Please tell me you have something fun planned tonight."

"Yeah, I do." I enter the last few things into the computer and spin in the desk chair to face her. "My friend's taking me to dinner and a movie."

"No party?"

"I'm sorry. Do I strike you as a party person?"

She rolls her eyes. "Fair enough. I'll see you tomorrow?"

And then I'm alone. Layla's right. The restaurant is creepy when it's dark and empty. Thankfully, I don't have to go into the main part when I leave. I just lock the money in the safe, make sure all the lights are out, and head out the back door. I text Max while I'm still sitting in the parking lot.

Me:
Leaving work. Meet in 30?

Max:
Sounds great. Culver's still sound good?

Me:Yes. I need ice cream and cheese curds. We have time before the movie, right?

Max:
Yeah.

I drive the all too familiar road into Peoria almost by memory, listening to random country stations and thinking. And when I pull into the Culver's parking lot, Max is already there, leaning against his car and scrolling through his phone.