The Sweet Series - lisa_london_

THE SWEET SERIES

THE SWEET SERIES

By: lisa_london_

GENRE: NA Romance

INTERVIEW WITH THE WRITER:

What sparked the inspiration to write the Sweet Series?

Game of Thrones? Which might seem like an odd inspiration as it's like the least sweet show ever, but I was writing a fanfiction story for it and had a coupling there (between two minor characters that I created my own lore for)that sparked an idea for an original story (Sweet Little Birds). Since this was a gay romance, I wanted to create a universe for the characters where their relationship could be accepted, even if there, of course, would be some obstacles on their way to happiness. A tutoring romance seemed fitting, as one character is studious and one is decidedly not, and I started to build upon that, adding some lollipops on top for added sweetness.

When you started the first story, did you already know it would be a series?

I did not. But as often happen when I write a story, side characters start talking to me, demanding their own stories. So I was forced to oblige and turn this into a whole universe of stories (each story has a different MC but the characters all know each other somehow).

If the Sweet Series was turned into a movie or tv-show, who would you like to star as two of your main characters? 

That is an easy question as I have, like many other authors, been guilty of fan-casting my story! Robin would be played by Lino Falconi (who played Robin Arryn in GOT, the character I loosely used as an inspiration for this story) and Tyler would be played by Daniel Sharman (I mean, he's a bit too old now but picture him during his TeenWolf glory days).

What has been the most challenging part to write in your series (so far)?

Act 3 of Sweet Little Birds (the first book in the series). I just felt that originally, it didn't quite pack the punch needed for that part of the story so I ended up completely rewriting it last year in the hopes to create more tension and focus on one main conflict. Did it work? Well, I guess that's in the eye of the reader but I do like how the new scenes turned out.

Do real-life people, places, or incidents inspire your writing?

Not really... It's definitely not my main source of inspiration as I prefer to separate my real life from my writing life. The setting from the Sweet series is actually chosen because of my familiarity with the place though, as I spent some time studying in Atlantic Canada

Do you have any advice for your fellow/new series writers?

Don't over-plan things! Start writing and see what happens. Maybe it will turn into a series, maybe I won't. I don't believe in forcing a story to become something it doesn't want to be. Let the characters speak to you and write down what they say, it may turn into a story (it did for me). And you can always fix things later if some minor details don't make sense between stories (I have some such kinks right now, caused by me rewriting the first story in the series so far but not the others). The details aren't the story anyway, the story is the story.

STORIES IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER:

Sweet Little Birds

Bitter Treats

Sweet Tea