Wattpad Original
There are 29 more free parts

Chapter 5 - Oblivion

The weight of danger hung heavy in the air. I kept each breath small and quiet, hoping my heart wouldn't give me away. Could they hear it thundering? Their noses were obviously superior, what about their ears?

Dawn light filtered through the windows, sending golden patterns across the hallway floor. My footfalls were muffled by the carpeting. It caressed my feet, soft and plush—opulent like everything else.

I'd waited until the sun rose, sitting at the window seat in my room, watching the manor's grounds saturate with light. I hadn't slept for even a moment—couldn't. There were too many thoughts crowding my mind, too many emotions.

Ditching my gown, I'd changed into a pair of soft leggings and a T-shirt Zola had brought. I loved that red dress, but Ania would forgive me. As for the heels?

"Should have asked her for some shoes," I groused, my voice a low whisper. But she would have known, or at least suspected why I wanted them.

I wasn't going to let that minor detail stop my plans. I might never get a better opportunity to escape. I was a fighter. Rolling over, giving up, wasn't in my vocabulary.

Holding my breath, I darted towards an enclosed stairwell. I listened at the top, straining to hear signs of movement, voices, anything, then descended. The cold wood was a direct contrast on my bare feet. I emerged into another hallway, also deserted, and kept going. The silence was almost...eerie.

That was a good sign, right?

I didn't take the sunlight rule for granted. There was a reason Zola hadn't confirmed which rumors about vampires were true. I really had no idea, but I'd take my chances.

Most doors were closed, but not all. I paused before an arched set leading into a drawing room. My eyes lingered over the furniture, snagging on the giant, grand piano. Its wood was white, the top propped open revealing its strings. The brand wasn't visible, but I knew what the instrument was worth—how many thousands. I stared at it, blinking.

Don't do this! teenaged me begged.

I pulled my gaze away and moved on. Eventually I found the giant stone staircase leading down into the entryway. I glanced around, silent, listening. There was no movement, no sound. Was the manor as dead as the vampires occupying it?

I crept down, then quickened my pace towards to the front doors.

Every muscle in my body was clenched tight, ready for action. Reaching for a door handle, I turned it, bracing for disappointment. The opening click was loud. I froze, heart taking off into a gallop.

I stayed like that, counting the seconds, then swung the door open. It moved on silent hinges. Oh, my God! Everything in me screamed to take off running, the taste of freedom so close. But I willed myself to calm down, listening intently.

Still nothing.

Adrenaline dumped into my system, flushing my skin. It couldn't be this easy—had to be a trick. My breath faltered, a familiar realization crystalizing. This was that moment in between, an internal struggle between life and death. My body screamed at me to retreat, while my mind urged me on. I'd fought it before; I would fight it now.

Slipping out, I shut the doors behind me, pausing on the wide steps overlooking the grounds. As far as anyone was concerned, I was just out for a morning walk, nothing more.

My eyes darted to the iron gate, attached to a towering stone wall. The wall was for show, ending where the manicured lawn did. My bare feet took me down the steps, wincing as I crossed the gravel drive, sighing when I reached the grass.