Wattpad Original
There are 27 more free parts

Chapter 7 - Orcs of Troth

I was wrenched awake by the sound of screaming. I shot up in bed, momentarily confused. The only light was a faint trickle of moonlight from the windows. I blinked, trying to gather myself. Vampires. I was in a vampire manor. A brief, stupid thought filtered through my mind, that this was probably normal. That all vampire manors were filled with middle-of-the-night screaming.

Pulled, as if in a trance, I staggered from beneath the covers to the door, pulling it open. The screams continued, not as loud as they'd felt when I'd first awoken. Still enough to make my stomach churn. To make the hairs on my arms lift.

I hesitated at the end of the hallway, then blinked, coming back to myself. This was a bad idea. Really bad. Really stupid. You didn't run towards screaming, but away. I should have been locking my door, not staggering out to find the source of it.

Another long and drawn-out sound had me rushing through the manor, barefooted, ignoring the ache in my neck. I descended to the lower levels, emerging onto the second-floor landing, overlooking the entry. A chaotic scene materialized. Bodies blurred like bees in a hive, fussing over a writhing mass on the tile floor. A person, I realized, swallowing down bile. They were near unrecognizable, more blood and gore than anything.

I'd found the source of screaming. These were the kind that couldn't be ignored. That begged for relief.

Laurent was there, calling orders. He froze, whirling in my direction. His eyes fell on me. I took a step forward, as if to offer my help. His expression hardened into granite, cold and accusing. "Go back to your room," he bit out.

My mouth opened but nothing came out. I tried to process it—couldn't stop looking at the body on the ground. They were still screaming, sending chills over every inch of my flesh, turning it clammy.

"You are nothing but a liability, Miss Shaw. Zola! Remove her from my sight."

I flinched. My throat tightened. He should have just slapped me.

"Come, darling. It is better if you do not see this." Zola was at my side, hand on my elbow.

I spotted Vittorio rushing about. And Marco, too. I'd only wanted to help. Zola seemed to read my thoughts. She shook her head, guiding me back down the hall, up another set of stairs.

"What...what was that?" I asked when the screams began to fade.

"We found Hassan."

"Hassan?"

"He went missing a few weeks ago. He's lucky to be alive, though, he has suffered a great deal."

"The...the blood dealer? The demon?"

"Dead. But it's not the dealer who is responsible for this mess. He was just a middleman."

I realized she probably wouldn't be telling me this if she thought I was a threat. Who was I kidding? After the way Laurent had just looked at me, I was more and more clear about my role here. I was nothing more than a house pet.

I pushed the thought away.

"But what happened to him?"

"Tortured, drained, mutilated." A shiver raced over me. "Do not let it trouble you, darling. Such knowledge doesn't make for restful sleep, hmm?"

With that, she stopped outside my door.

"Zola?"

"Yes, darling."

"Can...can I have a hug?" I asked through blurring vision.

"Oh, you sweet child. Here." She pulled me into her arms. I blinked back the tears clouding my eyes.