Chapter 1

4 days.

It was only 4 days later, NuNew realized, to his outmost dread, that he found himself walking to the "Melt Your Heart Café" as if his feet had a mind of their own. Before he even realized, his hand was already reaching for the door knob.

NuNew gulped.

He needed a place to study.

He was in the mood for something to drink, and that place was good enough.

Better than the university cafeteria, for sure.

NuNew shook his head in surrender.

Who was he even try to fool...?

Was it really a good idea to... indulge?

His hand closed into a fist.

"Nong NuNew!" He heard the chimes of the door and the big smile of Poppy welcomed him, taking him away from his thoughts.

"P'Poppy, sawadee krub!"

"Are you coming in?"

"Ah... krub."

"Oh, too bad, I was just going away to meet some coffee retailer across the street! I could have made some snack for you... but it's ok, P'Zee can still make something for you, I'm sure! Just... don't ask for anything too elaborated. Personal advice from me!" he smiled in his goofy way.

"Oh... ok, krub!"

"See you next time, I guess? Do bring more friends, we need some good advertising!"

NuNew waved at him, amused by the funny older man's cheerfulness.

He turned again towards the door.

So... no way back now.

He grabbed the door knob and walked in to the sound of chimes.

It was a Friday and the place was crammed. All tables in sight apparently taken.

Oh, maybe it's a sign. Maybe it's my cue to go away...

He dared to give a look at the bar counter and here he was. Him, again. Pouring hot water over some pots, in front of a guy that looked like a busy salary man.

Maybe he got lost in thoughts and stared for too long because he heard him call his name.

"Nong NuNew!" he said, his deep voice shaking him from his daydreaming.

Too late.

He wai-ed at him, walking slowly towards the counter.

"Sawadee krub, P'Zee"

"You all alone today? Take a sit!" he pointed at one of two stools still available, right in front of him.

NuNew held tight the strap of his backpack and slid it off his shoulder, while sitting with his heart in his throat.

"Looks like today there's no table available, I was about to go away..." he said, meekly.

"Just wait here, some people will eventually go very soon. Meanwhile, I can bring you some food maybe. You look like you had no lunch at all..."

"Uhm... krub. I came here as soon as lesson were over but... still, too late to find a table, it seems."

"It seems so." Zee gave him a half smile that stopped NuNew's heart for a second or two.

He was... close. So very close.

His eyes were...

Oh, was that a mole, under his left eye?