Chapter 11

"Is this really necessary?" Matthias's accent was thick as he was awoken by Nina. He was bound to a chair in the middle of Kaz's office, surrounded by the crows staring at him in various locations within the room.

"Believe me when I say this, Helvar: I know getting knocked out and waking up in strange surroundings isn't the friendliest way to start a partnership, but you didn't give us many options, so try to open your mind to the possibilities." Kaz began before he went on the speech about the heist and how they need him in order to be able to enter the Ice Court and how the Universe was at stake. Quite dramatic Vernera rolled her eyes as she sat looking out the window of the office, keeping her distance from Kaz.

"No." Matthias finally spoke, earning a jaw clench from Kaz.

"Helvar I would recon-"

"You could have come to me on your knees, and my answer would be the same." Matthias spat back. Vernera admired his bravery.

"You do understand I can have you back at Hellgate in a matter of hours? It wouldn't be hard in the slightest." Kaz threatened.

"Do it. I can't wait to tell the warden your ridiculous plans." Matthias challenged.

"What makes you think you'll be going back with a tongue?" Kaz threw back.

"Enough, clearly we are wasting our time." Jesper finally spoke up.

"I told you he wouldn't go for your big speech." Nina crossed her arms as she sat in a chair on the farthest side of the room.

"Don't speak for me witch." Matthias growled. Kaz remained silent. "Do what you want." He said in Kaz's direction, almost challenging him.

"Without him there's no job." Jesper spoke softly as he approached Kaz.

"We can't break into the Ice Court blind." Inej agreed.

"You can't break into the Ice Court at all." Matthias almost had to laugh. Finally Kaz approached the tall and rather angry man.

"Come on Helvar, surely there's something you want. The cause is righteous enough for a zealot like you. Fjerda may think they've caught a dragon by the tail, but they won't be able to hold on. Once Bo Yul-Bayur replicates his process, jurda parem will enter the market, and it's only a matter of time before others learn to manufacture it, too." Kaz pushed his case.

"It will never happen. Yul-Bayur will stand trial, and if he is found guilty he will be put to death." Matthias shrugged.

"Guilty of what?" Nina questioned.

"Crimes against people." Matthias refused to look in her direction.

"Which people?" She challenged.

"Natural people. People who live in harmony with the laws of this world instead of twisting them for their own gain." He spoke harshly. Vernera remained silent through it all, not knowing who to even side with. After fighting with Kaz for the hundredth time, her meter for what was right and wrong was dwindling. It was always scary when Vernera goes silent, Jesper or Inej could tell you that. It wasn't often that she would just shut down, but god help whoever was unlucky enough to be in the vicinity of her outburst when it did eventually happen.

"You're being short sided about this Helvar. Another team could get Yul-Bayur first. The Shu, maybe the Ravkans. All with their own agendas. Border disputes and old rivalries don't matter to the Kerch. All the Merchant Counsel cares about is trade, and they want to make sure Jurda Parem remains a rumor and nothing more." Kaz continued to ramble. "I'm sure the promise of four million kruge wouldn't sway you?" He added.