twelve

chapter twelve. Fourth of July, the day that I died

I remember thinking I had you

A whirlwind of emotions churned within Katherine's mind when she saw Sebastian again

A whirlwind of emotions churned within Katherine's mind when she saw Sebastian again. Her thoughts immediately shifted to that kiss they had shared, a moment so sweet and lovely it made her heart flutter. Yet, in the very next heartbeat, her mind veered toward Conrad. It was almost automatic, a conditioned response that had been ingrained in her over the years. Conrad had always been her Prince Charming, the one she thought about when she thought about romance. Conrad and Katherine. Always and forever.

But not anymore, she sternly reminded herself. Sebastian was here now, an incredible, sweet, and cute boy who liked her and wanted to spend time with her. A boy who didn't bring complications, a contrast to the tangle of feelings Conrad always seemed to evoke. Who wouldn't confuse her, who would keep falling in love simple.

Stop thinking, Katherine! Oh the troubles of being an over thinker.

"What are you thinking about?" Sebastian questioned.

Oh, just another guy. Katherine's internal dialogue felt like a whirlwind. She had to rein in her overthinking tendencies.

"Nothing, really. Just random stuff," she answered, shaking her head slightly, hoping her internal musings didn't show on her face. Was it cheating to think about another guy while spending time with Sebastian? But then again, were she and Sebastian even officially dating? The lines were blurry, and Katherine wished she could just shut off the torrent of questions swirling in her head.

But then, as if fate had other plans, her gaze wandered over to the pool area. There was Conrad, and he was laughingly close to Nicole, engaged in a conversation that seemed a bit too comfortable for Katherine's liking. A pang of jealousy struck her, her heart squeezing at the sight. The world had a funny way of putting things in front of her that she wished to ignore.

"Hey, let's go to the kitchen for a moment," Katherine suddenly suggested to Sebastian, her voice betraying a hint of urgency.

Sebastian looked a bit confused but complied, following her into the kitchen. Once they were alone, Katherine let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. She turned to Sebastian, her eyes searching his face for some sort of reassurance.

"Is everything okay, Katherine?" Sebastian asked, his concern evident.

"Yeah, it's just..." she trailed off, unsure how to voice her sudden bout of jealousy and insecurity.

Sebastian waited patiently, his gaze steady on her.

Katherine took a deep breath, her fingers playing with the hem of her dress nervously. "I just think there's going to be some drama today. Just a feeling."