fifteen

please vote and comment!!!

chapter fifteen. sad beautiful tragic

the end usually seems like a beginning, even if it's just the intermission

The first time it had started, one would say it was a tv show, a sitcom that had been going on for years, a modern fairy tale ever since both Katherine and Conrad were merely children. To some, it could have been seen as a gradual change. Strangers to friends to something more. Something that could be beautiful. Was beautiful. Is beautiful.

Conrad had always felt drawn to the young girl. She was his best friend. The one he told his secrets to. The girl he kept extra candies in his room for. Ever since both of them were young, or rather the whole Conklin-Fisher clan, it had been predicted. Katherine and Belly were both going to end up with one of the Fisher boys each. Susannah used to joke how having a daughter for Steven was a missed opportunity, but that was that. The Conklin girls were predestined for the Fisher boys. More than that, if chemistry outside the classroom was ever to be trusted, Katherine Conklin was made for Conrad Fisher. For Conrad, falling in love with Katherine was something that was always there, only ever growing as the days and then years had passed. Growing away as time passed.

However, the same was not to be said for young Katherine Conklin. Perhaps the feeling, the butterflies, had always existed but one day, in a sudden manner that only life can surprise us with, she realised that her heart had been stolen away.

The days never changed, but in time, they did. They grew up. He was next to her almost every day during that summer, under the guise of not feeling the 'party mood' that Steven and Jeremiah had suddenly left the house in. Susannah and Laurel were mostly away, doing their own thing and Belly would be nearby, her attention solely on her phone or her romance novel for the week that one could easily forget she was even there,

This all usually ended up with his feet kicked up on the coffee table after they've gotten into some argument or another, watching a movie in silence, until the need to make a joke overcomes on Conrad, and he breaks it. Katherine starts the arguments, pulls out the movie as a truce, just to get him to stay at the house with her. It's all a pretense, not-so-carefully and yet so meticulously crafted. She's always needed someone in close proximity. (It wasn't like Conrad was going to leave anyway, spending time with Katherine was worth more than any drunk teenage rager)

Once, she had fallen asleep on his bed, her head on his shoulder, the movie on the laptop still playing but muted. Audrey Hepburn was a sight to gawk over but when she turned her head a bit slightly, Conrad's face, ever so peaceful, was more enchanting. She had left the morning after, still wearing his sweater, how she got it on—one large black hole. He never really asked for it back, the blue sweater that had been pulled from the hems and smelled like cinnamon and surf. He never asked and she never gave it. She just hoped that he never came knocking into her room in the middle of the night to find her sleeping in it. Even after they broke up, she would sleep in it.