AND I LOVE HER

Howard Sounes: After the briefest of breaks, the group flew to France for a three-week residency at L'Olympia, a Parisian music hall associated with the can-can and Edith Piaf [...] the reviews were bad. Not that the Beatles seemed to care. 'They were not upset that the reception in Paris was a little bit cool. They were still just young kids out there having fun,' says Trini Lopez drummer Mickey Jones, who hung out with the boys at the luxurious Georges V hotel, a sign of how much money was suddenly flowing their way. 'They were having parties [with] girls from the Lido [club].' The Lido girls were ushered away when Jane Asher visited from England, along with Paul's father and brother, Mike McCartney.

Michael Braun: Jane Asher came to Paris for a few days and stayed at a small hotel near the Sorbonne. It was her first trip and she wanted to see the city, but Paul said she might be recognized and that she should stay in the suite at the George V while the Beatles were performing at the Olympia.

'That's typical of Paul,' she remarked. 'It's so silly of me to stay at the hotel. It's just that he's so insecure. For instance, he keeps saying he's not interested in the future, but he must be because he says it so often. The trouble is, he wants the fans' adulation and mine too. He's so selfish; it's his biggest fault. He can't see that my feelings for him are real and that the fans' are fantasy.'

(Jane in Paris, photograph by Ringo)

Christopher Sandford: The next weekend in Paris, Jane Asher was still trying to persuade Paul to get up from the piano and take her shopping. 'She went down on one knee, literally begging him,' says Dezo Hoffman, one of Eppy's photographers. 'No good. When Paul wanted to do something, he did it.'

Another anecdote in which Jane is also involved:

Howard Sounes: George Martin also came to Paris to record the boys singing German-language versions of 'She Loves You' and 'I Want to Hold Your Hand', a chore they didn't want to fulfil. When they failed to make their appointment at the studio in Rue de Sèvres, Martin called the Georges V to be told by Neil Aspinall that the band had decided not to do the German record - the first time they'd defied their producer so directly, and an intimation of trouble ahead. 'You just tell them I'm coming right over to let them know exactly what I think of them!' stormed Martin. He arrived at the Georges V shortly thereafter to find a scene akin to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party in Alice in Wonderland.