HONEY PIE

Ten days before Jane announced the break-up, Paul again attended a performance of "Summer", again thanks to Gyles Brandreth's diary.

From what Gyles implies ("He doesn't seem to know that it's all over with Jane... I said nothing, of course"), by this time Jane was already dating with someone else (Robert Kidd?), but Paul was still looking for her (as Francie mentioned in her book - quoted in the previous chapter "He cruised Jane's house, and rang her from the phone in his Mini. She would say. 'Sorry, I've got somebody here.'")... however, for Jane it was all over and she sent her mother to take her belongings from Paul's house.

Francie: The Amazon mother had shown up on two evenings when Paul was at the studio, opening doors with her own keys. She Iugged suitcases and boxes full of Jane's things down the stairs to her station wagon. She oozed hostility. The first time, I sat frozen to the couch in my robe. The second time, I asked her if there was anything I could do, and she must have sensed my apprehension. The mother in her came out and, together, we packed cookbooks and art books. She was very hung up on her terrific daughter in a way that reminded me of how my own mother would have acted. She wrote Paul a note, and sealed the envelope in front of me.

[...]

After dinner, the rain came down. Paul was silent, then animated and weird. "You'll have to go. I've got to have this talk with Mrs. Asher."

[...]

At "home" my ward and keeper was crooning to himself in front of the fire, a vision of the out-of-sight in repose. For the first time, he was Paul to me. Vulnerable, even weak. But he was trying. He talked about everything but Mrs. Asher until we went to bed. I couldn't take it anymore. "Come on Paul, what happened?" He was sad, but a little proud. He sounded as if he had turned over these words in his head many times before. "I've told her that I've met a girl who's offering me something Jane never could, that's all." It sounded like enough. It was what I needed, and at that moment I began to trust him.

Although many quotes imply that Jane was the one who ended the relationship, the fact that Paul had said this to Mrs. Asher - "I've told her that I've met a girl who's offering me something Jane never could, that's all." - suggests otherwise....