MANY YEARS FROM NOW

Despite attempts by journalists, Jane Asher has decided to say absolutely nothing about her relationship with Paul.

Jane Asher interview for The Mirror, 1997 -

The word McCartney turns her from Icing Queen to Ice Queen.

All I've asked is whether she was pleased that a knighthood had been bestowed on her ex-fiance, with whom she lived for five years, who'd dedicated And I Love Her to her and who kept his MBE under her bed.

But I'd have got more out of Barbara Cartland if I'd enquired about her preferred position in the back of a Bentley. I get blanked. Totally.

I try to grope my way out of a hole with: "Well it was a good try, wasn't it?" but she kicks me back down: "No, not really. A pretty obvious one actually."

So I ask if she gets sick of people asking her about Paul McCartney? "I think it only annoys me that people ask me if it annoys me when I’m asked about him. In fact, it doesn’t annoy me any more. I’m in Zen now, I think. I’m beyond that. There’s nothing you could ask me that I haven’t already been asked, even if it is asking me about asking me about asking me about him to the nth degree. I’ve been there."

THE TELEGRAPH •

THE TELEGRAPH •

The darkness behind the smile by David Thomas

August 2004

Jane Asher looks lovely and bakes gorgeous cakes. But why is she so sensitive about the image we have of her - and why is she drawn to playing women with something to hide, asks David Thomas

[...]

At one point, discussing her fame, I happen to use the word "celebrity". "Dreadful word!" she says instantly, with tremendous animation. "I was at the Natural History Museum yesterday and someone came up and said, 'Are you a celebrity?' That's a wonderful question, isn't it?"

She gives a jolly, self-deprecating laugh. "Celebrity literally means celebrated and well-known, so the fact that someone has to ask you if you are one means that, by definition, you are not."

Her point is wittily made, but it bears no relation whatever to the truth of Jane Asher's life. She has been famous since she was a child actress (her father was a doctor and her mother a music professor at the Guildhall). She made her first film at the age of five. By her mid-teens she was on the panel of Juke Box Jury, and she has never since been out of the public eye.