THE BREAK-UP

Barry Miles: As far as the press were concerned, Paul and Jane entered 1968 as the same fabled couple that they had gushed over four years earlier during the days of Swinging London. They were often seen out on the town, smiling at the cameras; on 21 May, for instance, they had lunch with the singer Andy Williams and his French wife Claudine Longet and that evening attended his final Royal Albert Hall show and the end-of-the-show party afterwards. Paul was able to keep several balls in the air at once, as the logo of his company, MPL, shows. (Paul's logo is of a juggler keeping a sun, a moon and a planet aloft.) He remained interested in the glamorous show-business side of London as well as in the cosmic awareness preached by the Maharishi. His relatives still came to stay and he still saw old friends. Most of all, he continued to write songs.

The truth is that Paul and Jane's relationship, like that of John and his wife Cynthia, was on its last legs

Philip Norman: The announcement of Paul's engagement at Christmas, when the Queen traditionally broadcasts to the nation, had an inescapable symbolism. And indeed, the betrothal of so adored a young prince to so eminently suitable a consort had sent a wave of goodwill through Britain and around the world, wiping out unfortunate recent memories of LSD and unmagical mystery tours. PR of that near-royal quality was not to be lightly cast aside. So, rather like a dutiful young royal couple, he and Jane put on a public show of unity and affection while privately feeling growing coldness and estrangement. Ostensibly still sharing the same roof, they lived mostly apart, getting together only when neither ha anything else in the diary, as a rule for holidays on the ski-slopes or in the sun. On significant Beatle occasions, Jane always would be seen at Paul's side, as loyally and unassertively as Cynthia was at John's, Pattie was at George's and Maureen at Ringo's. Despite her hatred of drugs, she had joined Magic Alex's pot-wreathed shopping-expedition for Greek islands; she had been with Paul for the first encounter with the Maharishi at the London Hilton, with him at Bangor when news of Brian's death came through and for all nine weeks of meditating in the Himalayas. The sharpest-eyed of the Beatle media pack never suspected anything amiss between them.

Journalists did not notice, but some close friends did.

Barry Miles: Marianne Faithfull, however, never felt the relationship was a lasting one.